Facebook - Be careful...

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby shanks72 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:27 pm

As I logged into Facebook tonight I had a message to say my account had been "accessed" by someone in New York and I was to change my password.

I was shocked as nothing like this has happened to me before, though I know it goes on.

This, apparently, happened last week, but I'm not on the internet much now. I only found out tonight when I came to log on and a warning flashed up.

Facebook didn't actually send me an email to let me know.

I just wanted to warn others to be careful of how much personal info is displayed on the site. Fortunately I dont have a lot of details on there.

Maybe the hacker was after bank details or my list of contact email addresses so he/she could deposit viruses.

I have since received an email from an American company who I don't know, which I've deleted in case it's a virus.

And I've also heard that it's happened to a few other people as well.....so be careful...
Image Image

REST IN PEACE DRUMMERPHIL, YNWA

underneath are the everlasting arms
deuteronomy 33:27
shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:35 pm

Stuntman at Hollywood, Studied at National Taiwan University, Lives in Sendai-shi, Miyagi, Japan, From Phuket

thats the current info on my profile, good luck to any fooker trying to get my personal details :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:53 pm

As posted in the funny pics thread:

PS: Facebook is sh!t. :D
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Kharhaz wrote:As posted in the funny pics thread:

PS: Facebook is sh!t. :D

That's hilarious...

because it's true  :D
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby tubby » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:05 am

Shanks do you ever log on via a mobile device? I use ebuddy on my phone and I guess the servers are sometimes located out of the UK or elsewhere in the UK so if I were to check my login history it would show something similar.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:49 am

shanks72 wrote:As I logged into Facebook tonight I had a message to say my account had been "accessed" by someone in New York and I was to change my password.

I was shocked as nothing like this has happened to me before, though I know it goes on.

This, apparently, happened last week, but I'm not on the internet much now. I only found out tonight when I came to log on and a warning flashed up.

I just wanted to warn others to be careful of how much personal info is displayed on the site. Fortunately I dont have a lot of details on there.

Maybe the hacker was after bank details or my list of contact email addresses so he/she could deposit viruses.

I have since received an email from an American company who I don't know, which I've deleted in case it's a virus.

And I've also heard that it's happened to a few other people as well.....so be careful...

Crooks who access accounts like Facebook, Hommail, Google, etc retrieve information from spyware that infects users PCs and send email/password data over the internet.

Email do not carry viruses. Attachments can but they require you to open or run the attachment.

If I were you I would do a spyware/virus scan on your machine. I bet you are infected.

I would also try and avoid simple passwords. Passwords should always be alphanumeric as a minimum (i.e. a1b2c3) and should if possible be random and include some non-standard characters like £$%^&

www.passpub.com generate strong random passwords if you need some help.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:28 am

Greavesie wrote:Stuntman at Hollywood, Studied at National Taiwan University, Lives in Sendai-shi, Miyagi, Japan, From Phuket

thats the current info on my profile, good luck to any fooker trying to get my personal details :D

lol, especially when your current info was living in cairo and then all of my egyptian buddies started adding you :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:19 pm

:D  I politely declined his request :laugh: :laugh:

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby shanks72 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 pm

tubby wrote:Shanks do you ever log on via a mobile device? I use ebuddy on my phone and I guess the servers are sometimes located out of the UK or elsewhere in the UK so if I were to check my login history it would show something similar.

No, my mobile is a bit ancient  :D    I use a laptop.

Facebook wouldn't let me log on 'til I'd verified the New York location was authentic, which I denied so I was asked to change my password.

I definately think the site should contact members (by email) if there is suspicious activity on an account. I only went to log in as I'd received an email re: a friend request.
Last edited by shanks72 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks72 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
shanks72 wrote:As I logged into Facebook tonight I had a message to say my account had been "accessed" by someone in New York and I was to change my password.

Crooks who access accounts like Facebook, Hommail, Google, etc retrieve information from spyware that infects users PCs and send email/password data over the internet.

Email do not carry viruses. Attachments can but they require you to open or run the attachment.

If I were you I would do a spyware/virus scan on your machine. I bet you are infected.

I would also try and avoid simple passwords. Passwords should always be alphanumeric as a minimum (i.e. a1b2c3) and should if possible be random and include some non-standard characters like £$%^&

www.passpub.com generate strong random passwords if you need some help.

Thanks for that...

I'll defo do a spywear check. I usually put a couple of numbers in my passwords but it's interesting the variations you've suggested and the website  :)
Image Image

shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:12 pm

is anyone else seeing people tagged in absolutely ridiculous pictures? I have a few friends who don't know each other and they were tagged in exactly the same photos of half naked women. They simultaneously disappeared within a few minutes. I know they're dodgy and all that but I'm just checking if anyone else has noticed this going on recently

seems to me like its becoming a bit of a hotbed for dodgy fookers. Might be time to bail

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby tubby » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:25 pm

I've had a few messages on facebook from friends 'Hey is this you in this pic?' And then some link that probably leads to somewhere not good.

I've got my facebook profile locked down quite tight now, can't be even found by search by a randomer. Can only be added from a friend of a friend ect...

Shanks - also try to change your pw's every couple of months too.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:28 pm

my profiles the same as yours Bav, not many can find me unless they're friends of a friend, even then they can only see my profile pic when they click on it. Maybe thats why I've not been tagged in the photos that are going around

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby shanks72 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:58 pm

tubby wrote:Shanks - also try to change your pw's every couple of months too.

Yeah, I should really do this...

and also not get my comp to remember them  :D

Luv your sig btw..
Image Image

shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:47 am

I have pretty tight security controls on my facebook profile but still dont put anything on there that I dont want the world to see .

Im still amazed at those people that allow their entire profile to be open to entire internet and then  list their emails, phone number, place of employement , addresses.
ID thief wet dream .
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum