Downloading is wrong - And illegal

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Sabre » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:53 am

on music i do agree, but its killing film, and thats fact. doesnt matter if you are from spain or siberia, its illegal and wrong and killing the film industry, thats all im saying

Dawson, can you explain why on music is ANY different?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:58 am

if u download a song then buy the album as most people on here say tehy do, then it is different. if u spend all day downloading albums then it is no different.
Music is like the radio, most of sales come from merchandise and concerts, not teh sales themselves of singles. if u download the album then it is no different.

with movies its so simple. if u take money from the top, it filters down and they take money back from where they cold be spending it elsewhere
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby inglis5 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:59 am

But why should it be any different for films? (I tend not to download films bacuase it takes too long but...) I would always prefer to have the orginal rather than a copy. Again it could work the same way, not sure if you want to buy a film, download it, if you do like it then buy the original. If a film is :censored: then people won't buy it.

I understand though that this is open to abuse from those who won't buy the original even if it is good... :)

Illegal downloads will hopefully lead to higher standards in overall quality. Whereas companies and artist were able to produce :censored: and still sell it, people will no longer be fooled into buying it. Free downloading can also be used cleverly by the industry. Look at the Arctic Monkeys, their first couple of releases were available for free off their website. They gave people a free taster and now they are selling thousands of records...
inglis5

Postby inglis5 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:05 pm

Sorry, repeating myself  :D
inglis5

Postby 66-1137139704 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:07 pm

dawson
I totally disagree.
The quality of ripped music/videos or music/videos freely downloaded from the internet using p2p or bittorrent or through the wazes sites cannot be equaled to the quality of the original CD.
The dowloaded tunes and videos are of lower quality compared to the original and if you really like the artist or the tracks,you will buy the original CD even if you had initially downloaded freely on the net.

And the downloading is done mainly by people who love music but cannot afford to buy the original CD's coz if they could they would rather buy the original.

If i was as rich as donald trump,i'd probably be buying the gold and platinum versions of singles of like......the ones that cant get scratches :cool:
66-1137139704

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:10 pm

You should see Greaty market all the latest films and music you can buy from 3 to 5 pound on DVD.
Seems the police are either on the take or turn a blind eye.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:10 pm

can everyone stop talking about downloading the odd song. FFS all im saying is that due to epople downloading films (and dont lie, most will not buy a copy as well) then it is killing the industry and meaning there is less quality and more popcorn rubbish
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:24 pm

The thing the p'isses me of the most is that for some product companies are still charging an arm and a leg .Some stuff that was released years ago can  cost more than it did when originally released ! how does that work ?

Anyhow ,although people have given me the odd ripped off copy I pefer to have the genuine item in its box sitting on my shelf.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:26 pm

You should see Greaty market all the latest films and music you can buy from 3 to 5 pound on DVD.
Seems the police are either on the take or turn a blind eye.

I would never buy pirate films. That's another whole different matter.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:31 pm

whats the difference bewteen buying a pirate film and downloading it yourself tho?
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:33 pm

Sabre wrote:
The law is the law. Downloading is illegal.

Download is illegal. Right. I cannot argue that.

But I can hardly accept it kill the sales, at least in Spain, discographics and  film companies do profit every year and rising. In Spain, every single CD you buy, has a tax that reverts to the "so called" Artist organizations. In my work I have to burn 200 CD a day. IN those CDs there is nothing but OUR software. So are the companies of music stealing? IMHO, yes.

I defend the artists. And I defend them through going to concerts and to the cinema. But I have not much money to waste. When I buy something I cannot buy  cr.ap . I can't afford that. By the downloading I don't get the real product, just a cheap evaluation, if I want the real thing, or the instructions, or the concert, I pay.

I don't try to convince you, I think you're right. I Just want to let known that not all the downloaders have no sensibility towards the artists (the companies like SONY? I don't care). I do buy their products, even more now that I can evaluate and know what's good.

Downloading is piracy and piracy does kill sales. 10-15 years ago I was a massive fan of the Amiga computer system. It was hugely popular, but piracy killed it. Nobody bothered buying games as you could simply copy a game from yuor mate.

The commodore Amiga didn't die because Piracy (1). Neither did the Atari ST, or the Speccy. The 16 bit times, just passed away, as did the 8 bitters, like the Speccy or BBC Acorn.  I bought tons of Speccy games, because I first picked them in a pirate tape, and since I liked them so much, I saved the money I didn't have to buy them. I helped my father in the shop to be able to buy this games.

Sabre

(1) BTW, it's not dead. I bought  a miggy recently , and bought a couple of games in a german online shop that still is open.

Piracy DID kill the Amiga. Lucasarts, who were one of the big designers on that scene, left the Amiga market in 1993 due to piracy, even though there were a very large number of Amiga users worldwide. Within a year the majority of distributors followed and by 1995/96 Commodore were bankrupt, because the bottom fell out of the software market and Commodore couldn't sell anymore machines as a result.

It is DEAD, despite the fact that a few college students still make a couple of rudimentary games for it in their spare time. You cannot buy a new Amiga machine anymore and no new mainstream games are published, and haven't been for almost a decade.

There were other reasons as well, but Piracy killed Commodore and the Amiga.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:34 pm

whats the difference bewteen buying a pirate film and downloading it yourself tho?

When I download, nobody makes profit. In real *piracy* though, some :censored: make profit using and abusing chinese or other humble people to make their profit. Profit made with film industry's work.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:36 pm

Hey and don't get angry with me, we are having a proper debate this way :D  otherwise it would be boring if everybody agreed :)
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:36 pm

woof woof ! wrote:The thing the p'isses me of the most is that for some product companies are still charging an arm and a leg .Some stuff that was released years ago can  cost more than it did when originally released ! how does that work ?

Anyhow ,although people have given me the odd ripped off copy I pefer to have the genuine item in its box sitting on my shelf.

I take the view (wrongly in the strict sense of the law!! :D ) taht downloading music/films is like downloading a piece of demo software - try before you buy! If I like the piece of software/music/film, then I'll pay for it.  If it's complete garbage, like 95% of the stuff I download, then I delete it from my computer/uninstall it. 

Downloading the latest films, actual on may occasions has benefited the film industry.  I have downloaded films that, from the adverts, I would never contemplate going to see, only to watch the download, and then go and see it in the cinema.  Downloaded films will NEVER replace the experience of watching them on the "big screen".

Again, this principle has worked for music - introducing me to new artists/gendre's which I would have have bought before.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:37 pm

anybody want a dvd rip of king kong,its a monster film really is :laugh:
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum