CONDOLENCES FOR GEORGE BEST

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby kazza 1 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:51 pm

zarababe wrote:Death will become us all.... and one day you shed tears over the loss of a loved one or they over losing you.. when yer time is up .. the only truth, whatever we believe or don't, is that death will become us all. 

Sometimes an event happens which makes us all pause and reflect on a life fullfilled or wasted, but a life that exists no more,  when a legend of a sport we all love has crossed over.. today is one of those days

Well said........
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:51 pm

mramo wrote:5 years isnt what I call time to make an everlasting impression.

We'll see how many cameras are present when you are on your deathbed.

We all post on this forum because first and foremost we love football.

George Best, Belfast born, wore the Northern Ireland shirt with pride. I am unfortunate enough to be too young to have watched him live. Some people I work with saw him play at Windsor Park. They said the atmosphere changed everytime he touched the ball, people expected things to happen, and it often did.

There's not enough footage of his genius for me to fully appreciate how good he was. I think you would have had to be there at the time. But remember, this was forty years ago. There was no football superstars then. There weren't many tricks then. Look at the faces of the defenders he went passed. They cant understand how he's beaten them. Best was the first. There was a mania that surrounded him wherever he played and wherever he went. There is nothing like that now - the pressure was immense. It was too much for him.

So he became an alcoholic. In his mind self-doubt would not let him believe he was worthy of this attention.

The question of his liver transplant isn't clear either. It depends whether you believe alcohol addiction is a disease. People certainly can recover from it, we've all seen them. For an alcoholic to be considered for a transplant they have to be drink-free for six months and as I understand it he was. Im sure there are many other addicts who've 'wasted' their 2nd chance.

Saying that, George Best's antics have just annoyed me over recent years. On the drink, off the drink, arrested for violence, drink driving - I couldn't believe the amount of media coverage afforded to his sad lifestyle. He just embarresed himself. I remember him on match the day, cachectic and jaundiced, promising he was reformed - it was just sad.

But, he was one of the best players in the world, ever, and as someone who loves football I'll always respect him for that.

Rest in peace.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:19 pm

even though he played for utd, he was a great player and deserves our respect. Condolences to his family.

R.I.P

YNWA  :buttrock
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:58 pm

R.I.P George Best.
       The saddest thing is -we will never know how good you really couldve been.
       He did waste his life away and yes he played for the enemy...so to all the Lfc fans on here who overlooked all that and paid respects to him here on his onfield abilty..or the fact he was a human being -I salute ya!
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrTNT » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:42 pm

R.I.P George Best, IMO the best football player ever to grace the earth

REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby kazza 1 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:02 am

Here he is in a Glen's shirt.............
Gone but never forgotten
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jan Cuelemans » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:03 am

I was always told never speak ill of the dead.

I saw him once playing for Fulham & although he did'nt get too involved in the game during the time he was on the pitch. However the touches of pure skill when he did have the ball were breath taking.

R.I.P George Best
The ofton underrated, Belgium Internalional Superstar !
Jan Cuelemans

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:05 am

supersub wrote:No...just typical of Best ,doesn't know when to call it quits when the he gets the shout "Times up".

Thank :censored: Supersub does'nt post much! :laugh:
66-1120597113

Postby kazza 1 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:08 am

Sorry about the last post!! The picture did not work. But I got this of a local Glentoran wed site and I think this sums him up...... The Best Man Of The Match

Thursday November 24 2005
By John Nicholson

George Best was the greatest footballer ever to grace the English game, the best that many ever saw, possibly the greatest there ever was. John Nicholson remembers a man that none of us will ever forget.

He played a hell of a game. And now that his numbers come up on the Subs' board of life, it's time we gave him a rousing send off. Man of the match. Man of every match.

Georgie Best touched me and my generations life in the same way as the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jack Kerouac or Jimmy Page did. He was that important. He was simply a cultural and sporting force of nature.

He was a far, far bigger phenomenon than any footballer today. It may be hard for younger fans to understand just how profound the impact Bestie made from the mid 60's onwards was.

He all but invented modern football by himself.

He didn't even look like any of his contemporaries. Put him in the Man United team today aged 18 and he would still look and play like a modern footballer. He'd fit right in, only he'd be far better than any player they have now, including Rooney. He was that ahead of his time. He was new, exciting and utterly utterly brilliant. He was in every way a man without peer.

Bestie invented the footballer as rock star concept without really trying. In an era of stout men of grit and muscle, Bestie was a thin sliver of a boy blessed with ball skills that were breath taking. The old films shows him bamboozling defenders like a magician doing tricks. All the more remarkable because he did it in an era when you could hack someone down and get away with it. But Bestie was rarely injured. He'd gone before they could get near him.

And what the old films don't show you is the effortless way he moved across the pitch with or without the ball. He glided through the air like a ghost.

It was perpetual poetic motion. No other player I have seen since could run with the ball as easily as without it. He ran with perfect rhythm and poise. He seemed to barely touch the pitch with his boots. And no-one needed the benefit of hindsight to realise we were witnessing a genius. It was in your face. You couldn't ignore it. Whoever you supported. We all knew.

His European performances in the 60's in particular were moments of the highest art. No-one could quite believe it. He was so much better than any of his contemporaries and it was all so effortless to him.

But, of course, it wasn't just the earth shattering football that Bestie will be remembered for. He was a fashion icon, even despite being in Grattons catalogue.He had great hair, great side burns. Like all rebel spirits, he wore his shirt untucked and socks rolled down. He bedded Miss Worlds and other more beautful women with his charm, good looks and money.

He was the very epitome of rock n roll football and there will never ever be his equal. Ever.

Maradona had all the talent and the addictive personality too but he was never a charming, beautiful man. He didn't have the swagger or the poise of The Great Man. He didn't have the poetry or the soul.

It's worth remembering that Best retired when he was just about 28. Yes there was all the adventures in America, Fulham and even Barnet but in a way, they didn't count. When he left Man United his real career was over. We knew it even then.

But what must it have been like to know that you were the brightest of all shooting stars and to know that all the world would love you just as long as you were? What must it have been like to burn so brightly for little more than 10 years and then have to live the rest of your life knowing it would never really be as good again? What pressures that would bring to bear on your soul is something we can't understand.

And of course as well know, Georgie had his problems. Problems that eventually took him from us. At the highest levels of the arts, people are different. They're not milk toast people who are always easy, pleasant or accommodating. The spirit of genius doesn't always allow that. Maybe they feel too deeply,  have too much vision and  see the world differently to us.

You can excuse it or condemn it but it doesn't alter the truth. Artists are different and Bestie was an artist of the highest order. He was imbued with the spark of the divine. The light of the immortal but it seems that the deal between God and the Devil meant that to have this genius, to even be called Best, he was in return to be possessed and ravaged by alcoholism.

None of us is perfect. We f**k up. We do the wrong things and behave badly and Georgie was no different but the reason so many of us can't bring ourselves to say a bad word about the man is because he gave us so much in his playing days. In fact, I still feel like I owe Bestie something personally for all the awesome entertainment and artistry he gave me. For the inspiration to try to be creative, different and even to be f**ked up.

I just feel grateful to have seen him and to have been in the world at the same time as him.

And I think in our heart of hearts most of suspect that had we been him, with all that genius and the world literally at our feet, we too might have gone off the rails too. I'm not casting the first stone and I don't think it's anyone else place to either. After all, no one get's out alive.

A poet, a rebel spirit, a revolutionary and a footballing aesthete the like of which shall never grace our lives again. Thank you Georgie Best; Superstar from all of us mere mortals.
Gone but never forgotten
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:52 am

supersub wrote:
liamac wrote:OK i know this has nothing to do with Liverpool 

That's right! so keep your crocodile tears for general chat

they arent crocodile tears pal , no tears at all in fact . Just a sadness to see a great footballer pass away............like i said , i know id be slated for  posting this by some people , and the people i new i would be slated by would be narrow minded blinkered fools like your self.............Hell even our Manager paid tribute, were they crocodile tears that Rafa spilt ? no they wer,nt  , just appreciation for a truly great footballer

As for not putting it in general chat , hey mu apologies for making a mistake , just as i made a mistake thinking it had been deleted ..........recently packed up smoking ........short fuse etc :rasp
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby Ulster Red » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:01 am

Some of the posts on here are something that I would expect man united fans to come out with not Liverpool fans. Im disgusted.

To George Best: you were one of us and we loved you for it, God bless
The Green White Army will never forget
R.I.P
Ulster Red

Postby kazza 1 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:29 am

Ulster Red wrote:Some of the posts on here are something that I would expect man united fans to come out with not Liverpool fans. Im disgusted.

R.I.P

Everyone on this fourm is entitled to post their opinion's on here. But I agree with Ulster Red.....
At the end of the day George Best was a great football player! I know he had his problems. He had his choice of women and he threw it all away for drink.
But you have to remember, he retired at 28.. He thought he had it made! He made his money at what he was good at, football...
I have just watched a link that was on this forum. It was posted by Gleneagle2000 (George Best 'El Beatle') Please watch and see what a excellent Football player he was......
http://www.grabme.net/dl.php?key=4a58e9b8196b3e7caddd4d28606233b9
Gone but never forgotten
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:38 am

kazza 1 wrote:
Ulster Red wrote:Some of the posts on here are something that I would expect man united fans to come out with not Liverpool fans. Im disgusted.

R.I.P

Everyone on this fourm is entitled to post their opinion's on here. But I agree with Ulster Red.....
At the end of the day George Best was a great football player! I know he had his problems. He had his choice of women and he threw it all away for drink.
But you have to remember, he retired at 28.. He thought he had it made! He made his money at what he was good at, football...
I have just watched a link that was on this forum. It was posted by Gleneagle2000 (George Best 'El Beatle') Please watch and see what a excellent Football player he was......
http://www.grabme.net/dl.php?key=4a58e9b8196b3e7caddd4d28606233b9

YNWA!

I dont want this dragging on much though! I posted my feelings on Bestie so has everyone!
Hes :censored: dead !!
And what a time to pay a massive respect to the game he loved so much!!

WE PLAY MAN CITY TOMORROW AWAY FROM HOME!

COME ON LFC BEAT THE MANC :censored: FOR BESTIE  AND IF NOT FOR HIM PLEASE DO IT FOR ME!!!!

COME ON THE POOL!!! :buttrock  :buttrock
66-1120597113

Postby Scottbot » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:54 am

George Best was a great footballer. One of the greatest ever for 5 years of his career by all accounts and a loss to football. Seemed to be a likeable guy and at times very charismatic but, the guy was also a drunk and a wife-beater. Maybe being incredibly gifted as a footballer makes the wife beating bit ok? I'm too young to have seen him do it at the time. All i really remember are the drunken interviews, the headlines in the press and all the bad stuff. I don't really believe that George Best the man deserves a minutes silence at every football ground in the country tomorrow? I don't recall our Emlyn getting all that.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:16 am

OK, some comments.

It's very sad for his family. They have my condolences.

In football terms, the man was supremely talented. No doubt about that.

In lifestyle terms, he has brought upon his own death at a relatively early age by way of a reckless life.

But anyway, that was his choice to make and so be it. When people look back, recall him in his prime, not the later days when he was a physical wreck.

The minute's silence should really only be meant for Man United and the clubs he was connected to, but hey LFC as the European Champions and the greatest club ever established, must show themselves to be decent and honourable and it should be observed in complete and total silence, IMO.

RIP, Georgie Best.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum