CONDOLENCES FOR GEORGE BEST

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby AussieKopite » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:15 pm

As a player I respect him, he also came out with some hilarious comments.

To his family, on behalf of the entire English footballing fraternity: You'll Never Walk Alone.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:16 pm

LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sparky » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:28 pm

not naive, trying to put a positive spin on a sad time for his family, could tear into his lifestyle and what he has done to himself but let the man rest in peace.
"My Idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility"

"To build Liverpool up and up, untill eventually everyone would have to submit!!!"
Sparky

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:33 pm

RIP GEORGE BEST
Cant believe some of the comments in this thread!
Ok the man was an alcoholic and yes he done few things that he regretted and brought shame to himself!All thes actions were a consequence of drink!

People need to ditch the stereotype that alchos are selfish people who drink to drown their sorrows!
Its a fuc.king illness that is harder to cure than most.A mental illness when a man feels that he cannot exist without alcohol!Not unlike a person in depression that cant live without medication!
Id expect in this day of age that most people could understand that and have the intelligence to see through the stigma!
No one was asking for tears or sympathy for anyone simply condolence and people should have the humanity and respect not to get ripped into a dead man!
Again RIP George Best!!
66-1120597113

Postby Sparky » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:34 pm

spot on. once again R.I.P George
"My Idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility"

"To build Liverpool up and up, untill eventually everyone would have to submit!!!"
Sparky

Postby Ciggy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:39 pm

R.I.P George.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:40 pm

greenred wrote:This thread has been destroyed already Johnny.Too many people have pi.ssed on the grave of a dead man.Could we not close this one and reopen the other?

It wouldn't matter greenred, people would post anyway what was on their mind.

I just didn't want it over two threads, at least have it all in one place.
jonnymac1979

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:17 pm

George Best: 15 Classic Quotes from football365.com

15) "I was in for 10 hours and had 40 pints - beating my previous record by 20 minutes." (Blood, during an operation, not beer).

14) "Robert Redford used to be such a handsome man and now look at him: everything has dropped, expanded and turned a funny colour."

13) "I'd have to be Superman to do some of the things I'm supposed to have done. I've been at six different places at six different times."

12) "Perhaps he saw something I didn't." - Regarding being asked 'where did it all go wrong?' by a man delivering champagne to his hotel suite - where there was £20,000 in cash scattered on a bed which also contained the current Miss Universe.

11) Best's reputed answer at the time - "Wrong?"

10 ) "There's no point in asking me - I can't remember what happened last night!" - When asked 'What Happened Next?' on A Question Of Sport.

9) "He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right" - On David Beckham.

8 ) "That's what children do - throw food. That's not fighting. We were real men. We'd have chinned them." - On The ManYoo v Arsenal tunnel 'brawl'.

7) "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life."

6) "I used to dream about taking the ball round the keeper, stopping it on the line and then getting on my hands and knees and heading it into the net. When I scored against Benfica in the European Cup Final I nearly did it. I left the keeper for dead, but then I chickened out. I might have given the boss a heart attack."

5) "I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep."

4) "I saw an advert on the side of a London bus inviting me to 'Drink Canada Dry'." - Best on why he joined Vancouver Whitecaps.

3) "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

2) "I used to go missing a lot...Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss World..."

1) "Pele called me the greatest footballer in the world. That is the ultimate salute to my life."
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:25 pm

I'm with Leon, Supersub and PeeWee but I also feel sorry for his family though, pitty that liver didn't go to someone who deserved it rather than to George Best who wasted it for 3 extra years on the bottle :angry:
Last edited by Paul C on Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:35 pm

Even though I never seen him play and he was no angel, his father and family are very upset at this moment in time.
Think they deserve a bit of respect there is nothing worst than loosing a child no matter the reason, and Im sure we would all like to go before our children for those whom have them.
Respect to his family.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:13 pm

Although I do agree with some of the things said on this thread, some other things where a bit harsh! We all know that George Best was not a saint. He had his problems, but don't we all?  People deal with success in different ways. His was with a bottle of whatever he could get his hands on.. Nothing is said about the younger players in our premeirship teams, who might end up the same way in 20 years.. A great sports man has died and people on here are ripping the back out of him......
Today, I was in the Cregagh estate that he grew up in. People are laying flowers at his fathers front door. They are really hurting over this. After all he was a local boy come good and made a fortune from something that he was good at, playing football....
My thoughts are with his family now.

George Best   RIP
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:31 pm

Goerge Best was before my time but frm wot av heard hes meant to be amazing...

R.I.P GEORGE BEST
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:52 pm

R.I.P. George
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhiLFC » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:52 pm

I'm with peewee, leon etc

Undoubtedly a great footballer but not a person I would want my kids to look up to by any stretch of the imagination.  I remember him as a great footballer (could've probably been the greatest) but I remember him as an alcoholic more.  I don't feel sorrow at his passing only sorrow that a good liver never went to a more deserving person... the donor was a dead person that Best showed little respect for (in fact he gave the ultimate insult to) as soon as a he went back on the pisssssss again

Today I have had Manure fans texting me about the legend and the god that is Best... the same barrrrstarrrrds took the pisssssss and joked about 96 young people gettin crushed to death but at the same time cry n their beer about a man who had it all and pisssssed it up the wall and was given a second chance but did the same again...
PhiLFC

Postby zarababe » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:26 pm

Death will become us all.... and one day you shed tears over the loss of a loved one or they over losing you.. when yer time is up .. the only truth, whatever we believe or don't, is that death will become us all. 

Sometimes an event happens which makes us all pause and reflect on a life fullfilled or wasted, but a life that exists no more,  when a legend of a sport we all love has crossed over.. today is one of those days
Last edited by zarababe on Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum