Broadband - Which one?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:07 pm

Right my current broadband contract runs out tonight at midnite and I am looking to change!

Currently on AOL @512kbps, but looking for a 2Mb connection. Was considering Tiscali, £17.99 for 2Mb and no limits...but was reading reviews of it and though the connection is fast and stable, the customer services if you have problems is supposedly sh!t.

So anybody have any ideas as to who is good and why?  Looking for 2Mb as I said, no limits and a decent price!!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated in helping with my decision!
76-1115222408

Postby Paul C » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:28 pm

AOl are shi.te mate, their ok for families who want control over what their kids surf, their are millions of ISP's out there but I've been with BT for about 4 years and never had a problem with them, I wouldn't worry too much about download limits cos I download loads stuff and mine is a 20gb limit, BT do a 2mb connection with a 20gb DL limit for £25.  I also used the net about 4/5 hours a day, I know I'm a geek :(

Suppose it's what you use it for at the end of the day mate.

Check out http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ for the best ISP reviews, etc. :;):

Hope this helps mate.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:24 pm

there are only 2 suppliers, bt and cable(telewest & ntl) all the rest give as big a bandwidth as you are able to recieve( this depends on how far you live from the bt exchange, which tiscali, bulldog etc lease ) no limit usage is generally £25 add the extra £10 with whoever you chose for free landline phone calls. Make use of any new customer 1st 6months half price offers you see(talk talk).
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:56 pm

i,m on a 1mg broadband with NTL £9.99
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:01 pm

I joined PLUSNET a couple of months back after LOTS of researching. I'm on their basic package which is £14.99 p/m, for that you get 2mb broadband with no download limits. They do have a timeout system in operation where if you don't do anything online for 30 mins they disconnect you but this isn't an issue really as you can just set your e-mail programme to check every few minutes. They are deffinately worth a look so go to :-

PLUSNET BROADBAND ISP
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:17 pm

Im on exactly the same one as Paul c and Ill echo what he said. They offer a good service. Any problems i had starting out ,they were able to fix over the phone. The only annoyance i had was when i moved house,I had to wait around 10 days to be reconnected.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:52 pm

BT are the worst company I have EVER dealt with in my entire life, they are a walking disaster and I won't ever do business with them again in any way, shape or form until the day I die

Right, that's my rant over :D I use a company called Homecall, £25 p/m for 2meg with no download limits and all landline calls are free, 24/7. Never had a single problem with them, despite moving house, moving office (I use them at the office as well), changing my package etc etc. I can't recommend them highly enough. I'm a VERY demanding customer and they have come up trumps every time
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:01 pm

No limit on Homecall.....yet
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:03 am

i just switched to jazztel from arsys and get a 1mb connection plus all free calls for 30 euros a month. other people have said they were trouble but they've been fine with me and the help line were great. problem is that its in spain and no use to you whatsoever. :cool:

we're a couple of years behind the uk still :(

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:00 am

LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:Right my current broadband contract runs out tonight at midnite and I am looking to change!

Currently on AOL @512kbps, but looking for a 2Mb connection. Was considering Tiscali, £17.99 for 2Mb and no limits...but was reading reviews of it and though the connection is fast and stable, the customer services if you have problems is supposedly sh!t.

So anybody have any ideas as to who is good and why?  Looking for 2Mb as I said, no limits and a decent price!!

whatever you decide, do not use NTL as a provider, they are absolute cack
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:20 am

This is a great thread, because I wanted to ask the same question! Im leaning towards NTL cos Ive got them for the telly and the phone.I wana do me DJ'ing over the net so do you think that will provide a quick enough speed?
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:25 am

Judge wrote:
LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:Right my current broadband contract runs out tonight at midnite and I am looking to change!

whatever you decide, do not use NTL as a provider, they are absolute cack

who do you think then judge? cos i wana get it right with me broadband. Dont want sh!t !
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:52 am

F*cking hell, I was researching all last night (lucky today is my day off!!) and it is getting extremely hard to choose!!

Thanks for Plusnet Rushie, but I dont like the idea that I have to pay £14.99 'to upgrade my line' as Im currently on 512 (but the phone line can handle a 2mb connection, I checked with BT), and no other ISP's ask for this fee!!

Wooly, Homecall looks excellent, but I dont like the fact that you HAVE to get the phonecalls as part of the package, goddammit, I just want broadband!!!

Tiscali, has great speed and price and no limits, but no matter what I do, I cannot find any good reviews of them at all, so looks like I will give a miss!!

Man, the more I research, the more hard its becoming to choose the right package for me, anyway gonna make a few phone calls to some ISP's and see if I can get certain fees waived :;): .
Anyway, thanks everyone for your help so far, any additional help/info/advice will be much appreciated.

PS - Paul, thanks for that ADSLguide link, gave me loads of info!

Also, there are hundreds of ISP's, and I am a bit worried by the idea of going with a smaller comapny as opposed to the bigger, more established ones. I mean what if they collapse as an entity, what would happen to me??

*Singing*  Mind bloooowing, Deeeecisions!!! :D
76-1115222408

Postby Woollyback » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:04 am

karim you don't have to have the calls with homecall, you can have just the broadband for £17 or £18 or thereabouts
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:06 am

REALLY :)   Thats just what I wanted to hear...Gonna call them right now!!! :buttrock:
Last edited by 76-1115222408 on Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
76-1115222408

Next

Return to General Chat Forum