Broadband - Which one?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:29 pm

thanks again m8, appreciate it :)
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:39 pm

Man, this place is so good for people helping each other out...This is the way a forum should be!!!

Lets all try and keep it up guys!!!

:)
76-1115222408

Postby drummerphil » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:49 pm

Anyone have any info on psp games,i have bought my two kids one each for christmas but noticed there isnt a lot of choice yet when it comes to games.I also add many shops (Argos etc) are not stocking them.Does anyone know a good download site for these and are the official games on mini cds etc
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:58 pm

andy_g wrote:as far as i'm aware the speed of your processor has nothing to do with the speed of your internet connection. the speed of your ethernet bus though is important, however most computers have a 100 mbps system which is more than enough to handle current bandwidths.

* note to self * - never try and sound like i know what i'm talking about.     cos i don't   :D

what i meant was that you could have a ridiculously fast internet connection but it's not much use if your pc can't process all the info that's coming flooding through your connection, or something like that :blush:    ah feck it, i don't know what the bollox i'm talking about :p  :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:01 pm

Woollyback wrote:
andy_g wrote:as far as i'm aware the speed of your processor has nothing to do with the speed of your internet connection. the speed of your ethernet bus though is important, however most computers have a 100 mbps system which is more than enough to handle current bandwidths.

* note to self * - never try and sound like i know what i'm talking about.     cos i don't   :D

what i meant was that you could have a ridiculously fast internet connection but it's not much use if your pc can't process all the info that's coming flooding through your connection, or something like that :blush:    ah feck it, i don't know what the bollox i'm talking about :p  :D

Its alright wool, i know what yer saying. No point having say a 5 mg connection if your pc is something :censored: like a 166mhz!haha

I dont have that, think mine is 5 ghz or something :O
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:18 pm

There are at least two ISP in Britain that offer an 8MB connection at a competitice rate. They were mentioned in PC Zone this month and when I get home from work I'll have a gander at the magazine and post their names.

I also heard that BT will roll out an 8MB connection next April/May. This is rumoured to be a replacement of the 2MB package, whether existing customers will be upgraded for free, I just don't know.

As a general rule of thumb the cable packages are more competitive than the phonelines, so do some research on cable ISPs.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:21 pm

Thanks JBG. :)  Might just be lazy and get NTL I reckon
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:22 am

:veryangry I take back what i said about Bt, they ARE a walking disaster. They Buttered me up bigtime yesterday over the download limit and hit me with another hundred sheets on top of my bill. They told me they would email me first if i exceeded the limit then ,the following month said theyd cut my speed if i exceeded-they did neither arghh bastidzzz
:D Homecall for me on Monday.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:32 am

homecall lease a part of an exchange from bt. ipso facto bt are homecalls daddy. cannot offer anything better.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:40 am

But the fact is -Ill be paying bt :censored: all  :D
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:43 am

you think so?
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red squirrel » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:46 am

drummerphil wrote:i,m on a 1mg broadband with NTL £9.99

Wow Phil thats good value.
Im on Telewest 512k for £14.99...slow as hell but they promise a free upgrade to 2Mb....Im still fookin waiting!
Red squirrel

Postby Red squirrel » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:50 am

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:
Woollyback wrote:ISDN is outdated technology, broadband is the new way to do things

56k = 56,000 bit per second connection speed

basic broadband is 512K ie. 512,000 bits per second, roughly ten times quicker

1 meg = 1,000,000 bits per second ie. twice as fast as basic

therefore 2 meg is 40 times as quick as 56k although how good your processor is on your PC obviously has some say in the matter

So what would be the ideal speed for me to do my dj mixes over the internet live? Thanks again wool, u are a fountain of knowledge! haha

A budding DJ Wrighty. What music do you play?
I used to DJ years ago before it got too commersialised. Now i just make music instead.
Send us the link to ur web site mate.
Cheers
Red squirrel

Postby Red squirrel » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:56 am

drummerphil wrote:Anyone have any info on psp games,i have bought my two kids one each for christmas but noticed there isnt a lot of choice yet when it comes to games.I also add many shops (Argos etc) are not stocking them.Does anyone know a good download site for these and are the official games on mini cds etc

Try play.com or Gameloaded both are pretty good and much cheaper than any computer shop
Red squirrel

Postby mighty mo » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:19 pm

wanadoo 2MB £17.99 a month with a option next year to go up to 8MB
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum