British tv at the moment

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:21 pm

.....is absolute dross.

Infact it's the worst i can remember it (despite my relative youth).

Not just talking about BB and Love Island and all the usual reality TV gripes, but even the other day i caught a bit of Casualty. I can remember when it first aired it was well written and quite gritty and realistic, now its just contrived childish sh#te!

It doesn't help that the USA is producing some of the finest TV ever made right now, it really does put us to shame in all departments.

What is left which we produce in this country that is actually worth paying the license fee for anymore (apart from the peep show)?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:33 pm

When was british tv all that good? Weve always had some cult tv but nothing more. We dont have the money or resources that america has. they spend more ona tv show than we do on a film.

We havent had anything decent for years now, not that im bothered, always preferred the american stuff myself.

I personally always preffered cheers to OFAH, i didnt rate the office. i did like spaced and a few other things like that but all in all just happy to have the yank stuff
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:41 pm

Have you ever watched American TV Dawson ? The American shows that come over here are the exceptions.American Tv makes ours look great.
account deleted by request

Postby dawson99 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:45 pm

Amercian tv is just like ours but much much more.

But they have always had absolute gems. Whereas in the 70s we had the good stuff, ever since then theyhave kciekd our butts:

twin peaks, lost, prison break, buffy, smallville, sopranos, 24, scrubs, simpsons, the list goes on and on and on and on

we have:

hetty wainthrop and ricky gervais
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:52 pm

Pmsl at hetty wainthrop :D Iv never seen it but the name paints a thousand pictures.

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:01 pm

I was reading a column in the Mirror the other day saying how shit british crime drama's are compared to what the US produce. It was on about the likes of all the CSI series and Law & Order and shows like that and what do we have - the fookin Inspector Lynley mystery's.  :down:  I don't watch any of these programmes but I know where the columnist was coming from. I'm currently watching the 5th series of 24 on DVD and every time an episode ends i'm desperate to watch the next one. I can't think of one british programme that has ever made me desperate to see the next episode.
The majority of tv that i watch is American and it's simply down to the dire quality of UK shows. I'll maybe watch some of the old classic comedies like OFAH, OFITG, dads army, vicar of dibley & my family on UK Gold but even some of these aren't exactly remembered as the cream of british tv.
The thing tha baffles me is that we're paying a licence fee to the BBC and they just seem to churn out TV by numbers cr@p every year but maybe get lucky for a while with the odd show like Little Britain a couple of years ago and then every show they do is trying to be that programme and boring the nation to death.

British TV you should hang your heads in shame!!  :veryangry
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:35 pm

Channel 4 does the best UK shows at the moment imo, but due to it being big brother season their prime slots are filled up with that. Hopefully the beeb will come up with something as good as Life on Mars in the near future to challenge the c4 mantel.

ITV is just a waste of time I can’t remember the last time I really watched something other than footie on that channel.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby babu » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:43 pm

i spent six months travelling across the states in car (with a television) and i can honestly their non-cable TV is the worst i even seen.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:47 pm

Agree but with some exceptions.  The BBC is the wold leader in news and documentaries.  The Attenborough stuff is worth the licence fee.  They are ahead of everybody because its a national company.  ITV on the other hand has badly gone down hill with the competition from SKY and their decision to dumb down and go commercial

What about the drama obout Ghengis Khan and ROME well made and filmed really well,  Band of brothers in partnership with HBO was superb.

ITV on the other hand now closes at night and has one of those ridiculous gambling shows on for hours.

BBC 3 and 4 has some superb stuff on, Ive really enjoyed Australia week this week, and Channel 4 comes up with some gems every now and then

And once a year Liverpool might be on Channel 5  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:48 pm

Band of brothers was only good because of the money pumped into it and the american production. Rome was made with european money.

There are of course some good things on british tv by the british but there is more in america as there is more in america if you get me.

Could be worse, we could have welsh tv!!!
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:52 pm

Seriously Dawson most of the programs you mentioned must have been on cable or something. When I was over there I used to look forward to Reruns of Frasier (which I had already seen on ch4) it was so bad.

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:58 pm

dawson99 wrote:twin peaks, lost, prison break, buffy, smallville, sopranos, 24, scrubs, simpsons, the list goes on and on and on and on

Some great shows there Dawson but how many of them are still airing or are still worth watching?  Don't get me wrong, American television can produce some utter gems (e.g. Lost) but the vast majority of what's on is insufferable sh!te.

And, if it's not sh!te it's formulaic.  I personally love CSI but I don't need 2 spin-off versions plus the numerous 'crime procedural' copy-cats that have followed in its wake.  Same's true of the Law and Order franchise.

Thank f.uck that the reality tv tide seems to have ebbed a bit over here as that was getting old fast.  The exception, of course, is the rubbish variety shows like American Idol and America's Got Talent.  Ermmm, no it doesn't based on that evidence!

Bottom line, there are maybe--maybe!--half a dozen shows over here that I would consider watching week in, week out.  On top of those there are another 2-3 that I'll watch if I'm home and it comes on.  The rest ain't worth bothering about.  :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby taff » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:05 pm

Listen here Dawson thats just plain rude  :D

And your right  :wwww

On s4c the welsh language channel there used to be a welsh version of blind date which was absolutely berserk. Imagine loads of Glyns from Big Brother

The men could look at the girls and choose them after some questions, one episode I watched had a farmer choosing a girl because he said she had big strong hands and could easily pull a calf out of a cow  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:20 pm

dawson99 wrote:Amercian tv is just like ours but much much more.

But they have always had absolute gems. Whereas in the 70s we had the good stuff, ever since then theyhave kciekd our butts:

twin peaks, lost, prison break, buffy, smallville, sopranos, 24, scrubs, simpsons, the list goes on and on and on and on

we have:

hetty wainthrop and ricky gervais

We also have Corrie and East "alway arguing, fighting, shouting, screaming, scammimg" Enders.

Anyway both are total :censored:.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby dawson99 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:28 pm

But America will always have more good stuff comeing out. right now there is:

weeds, rescue me, eureka, csi, the shield, plus hundreds more new goodies all the time.

They have more choice, most bad, and we get the gems, as for our documentaries being the best, id probably disagree with that too.

Ray MEars is getting annoying and that river cottage guy is getting too smarmy.

Gimmy the teutals any day.

Plus, we have graham nortan, they have dave letterman. Everythng they give us is better.

Sketch shows is about all we can do now.
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum