Best film scenes, - What are your favourites?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:27 am

If there is one film I love more than any other its The Sting. It is just a masterpiece. Everything about that film is simply brilliant, but the one moment in the film that sets it apart from any other film I have ever seen is one scene that sets the tone.
Its this:

J.J. Singleton: I dunno know what to do with this guy, Henry. He's an Irishman who doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, and doesn't chase dames. He's a grand knight in the Knights of Columbus, and he only goes out to play faro. Sometimes plays 15 or 20 hours at a time, just him against the house.
Henry Gondorff: Roulette? Craps?
J.J. Singleton: He won't touch 'em. The croupier at Gilman's says he never plays anything he can't win.
Henry Gondorff: Sports?
J.J. Singleton: Likes to be seen with fighters sometimes, but he doesn't go to the fights or bet on 'em.
Henry Gondorff: Jesus. Does he do anything where he's not alone?
J.J. Singleton: Just poker. And he cheats. Pretty good at it, too.

The look Gondorf has when he hears this is brilliant. No other scene in any other film swings the scenario in such a way that the playing field switches from the big ganster to the cheat so early and yet you never feel robbed watching this.

What films have had you hooked in the same way?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:21 am

From  Vacation

Rusty: Wow Dad You must have jumped that thing Fifty yards

Clark Griswold: It's nothing to be proud of Russ....Fifty Yards.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby neil » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:51 am

The Good Yank wrote:From  Vacation

Rusty: Wow Dad You must have jumped that thing Fifty yards

Clark Griswold: It's nothing to be proud of Russ....Fifty Yards.

i guess you have to be there right
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:06 am

I use this clip in every confidence course i teach.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Neal: You know everything is not an anecdote. You have to discriminate. You choose things that are funny or mildly amusing or interesting. You're a miracle! Your stories have NONE of that. They're not even amusing ACCIDENTALLY! "Honey, I'd like you to meet Del Griffith, he's got some amusing anecodotes for you. Oh and here's a gun so you can blow your brains out. You'll thank me for it." I could tolerate any insurance seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say, "'Cause I've been with Del Griffith. I can take ANYTHING." You know what they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean. The shower curtain ring guy. Woah." It's like going on a date with a Chatty Cathy doll. I expect you have a little string on your chest, you know, that I pull out and have to snap back. Except I wouldn't pull it out and snap it back - you would. Agh! Agh! Agh! Agh! And by the way, you know, when you're telling these little stories? Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener!

Del: You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get.

lol and it also helped me when i took stick over the take over thread and the rafa thread pmsl.
Last edited by lakes10 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:01 am

Don't know if there are any LOTR fans here, but the scene in Return of the King at the battle of Pelennor Fields is incredible. Specifically, the part where the Riders of Rohan arrive. Thousands of riders at the top of the slope looking down on the battle. The scene where they charge down the slope into the battle, scattering Orcs left, right and centre is extremely well done. A truly epic scene.
addy

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:04 pm

lakes10 wrote:I use this clip in every confidence course i teach.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Neal: You know everything is not an anecdote. You have to discriminate. You choose things that are funny or mildly amusing or interesting. You're a miracle! Your stories have NONE of that. They're not even amusing ACCIDENTALLY! "Honey, I'd like you to meet Del Griffith, he's got some amusing anecodotes for you. Oh and here's a gun so you can blow your brains out. You'll thank me for it." I could tolerate any insurance seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say, "'Cause I've been with Del Griffith. I can take ANYTHING." You know what they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean. The shower curtain ring guy. Woah." It's like going on a date with a Chatty Cathy doll. I expect you have a little string on your chest, you know, that I pull out and have to snap back. Except I wouldn't pull it out and snap it back - you would. Agh! Agh! Agh! Agh! And by the way, you know, when you're telling these little stories? Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener!

Del: You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get.

lol and it also helped me when i took stick over the take over thread and the rafa thread pmsl.

:laugh:

Love that film, brilliant lakes !
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:07 pm

Love the scene in The Departed when Leo DiCaprio is getting interviewed by Martin Sheen and Mark Wahlberg and the one when Mark Wahlberg (Dignam) turns up when Alec Baldwin (Ellerby) is briefing his team:

Ellerby: "Go f.uck yourself."
Dignam: "I'm tired from f.ucking your wife."
Ellerby: "How is your mother?"
Dignam: "Good, she's tired from f.ucking my father."

:D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Love the scene in The Departed when Leo DiCaprio is getting interviewed by Martin Sheen and Mark Wahlberg and the one when Mark Wahlberg (Dignam) turns up when Alec Baldwin (Ellerby) is briefing his team:

ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:54 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Love the scene in The Departed when Leo DiCaprio is getting interviewed by Martin Sheen and Mark Wahlberg and the one when Mark Wahlberg (Dignam) turns up when Alec Baldwin (Ellerby) is briefing his team:

Love that part every time.  :D
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:39 pm

Easy. Wild Things, swimming pool, neve Campbell and denise richar…… oh… not those kinda scenes…

:blush:

Erm

Classic and well documented but I love the scene in A Few Good Men where tom cruise (Kaffee) breaks Jack Nicolson (col. Jessep) in court, culminating in the following….

Col. Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I'm entitled.
Col. Jessep: *You want answers?*
Kaffee: *I want the truth!*
Col. Jessep: *You can't handle the truth!*

Col. Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?
Col. Jessep: I did the job I...
Kaffee: *Did you order the Code Red?*
Col. Jessep: *You're Goddamn right I did!*
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Phoebe Cates coming out of the swimming pool in Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Or Steve McQueen trying to jump the barbed wire fences in The Great Escape
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:09 pm

another one is this.

Star Wars
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:43 pm

Train station scene from the Untouchables and Duvall's "You smell that"  in Apocalypse Now
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:59 am

when borat and his naked manager were tangled in the throes of a 69.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:45 am

Curly Bill: [takes a bill with Wyatt's signature from a customer and throws it on the faro table] Wyatt Earp, huh? I heard of you.
Ike Clanton: Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog. Law don't go around here. Savvy?
Wyatt Earp: I'm retired.
Curly Bill: Good. That's real good.
Ike Clanton: Yeah, that's good, Mr. Law Dog, 'cause law don't go around here.
Wyatt Earp: I heard you the first time.
[flips a card]
Wyatt Earp: Winner to the King, five hundred dollars.
Curly Bill: Shut up, Ike.
Johnny Ringo: [Ringo steps up to Doc] And you must be Doc Holliday.
Doc Holliday: That's the rumor.
Johnny Ringo: You retired too?
Doc Holliday: Not me. I'm in my prime.
Johnny Ringo: Yeah, you look it.
Doc Holliday: And you must be Ringo. Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?
Kate: You don't even know him.
Doc Holliday: Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
Wyatt Earp: [to Ringo] He's drunk.
Doc Holliday: In vino veritas.
["In wine is truth" meaning: "When I'm drinking, I speak my mind"]
Johnny Ringo: Age quod agis.
["Do what you do" meaning: "Do what you do best"]
Doc Holliday: Credat Judaeus apella, non ego.
["The Jew Apella may believe it, not I" meaning: "I don't believe drinking is what I do best."]
Johnny Ringo: [pats his gun] Eventus stultorum magister.
["Events are the teachers of fools" meaning: "Fools have to learn by experience"]
Doc Holliday: [gives a Cheshire cat smile] In pace requiescat.
["Rest in peace" meaning: "It's your funeral!"]
Tombstone Marshal Fred White: Come on boys. We don't want any trouble in here. Not in any language.
Doc Holliday: Evidently Mr. Ringo's an educated man. Now I really hate him

Awesome !
Last edited by Kharhaz on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum