Best album ever

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby dawson99 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:06 am

But a truly good album has to change the world of music, and that only happens once a generation... sex pistols...stone roses...the pixies... oasis.... the strokes... true rock n roll

also: marvin gaye, nwa, bob dylan, beatles....

bands whose albums create other bands. bands and artists that are here to create the generations music
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:38 am

agree with your principles there dawsonio, but not with your choice of examples;

sex pistols i'll go along with  - i don't think anyone that understands anything about music can deny the huge influence and catalytic effect they had on the developlment of music in the uk and the states. as much as i like the pixies i wouldn't say they were so influential on other bands to anywhere near the same degree. the stone roses were a part of scene rather than the creators of it, oasis are just a bag of sh!te who put out a great first album but nothing of note or any originality since then - they are followers rather than leaders.

i think you have to be looking at those bands on the vanguard at various points in musical history - so i guess you have to be looking at bands like the beatles, sex pistols, the fall ( :;): ) etc etc...

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:45 am

I know yous are all guitar lovers out there but for me

Last edited by Dundalk on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:12 pm

Notice some of you guys gave a shout for Van Morrison and Astral Weeks in particular . Well fk me sideways with a wet mop, my son has called me , he's got free tickets to a box at the royal albert hall this coming sunday for van's Astral Weeks concert and naturally wants his old fella to go with him, life doesn't get much better than this   :buttrock .

Van Morrison

at Royal Albert Hall, London, England

These concerts will be the very first time that Van Morrison has performed his revered 1968 album, Astral Weeks, in the UK. He will also perform many of his classic hits. The UK concerts follow last November's sell-out, rave reviewed performances at LA's Hollywood Bowl. The album of these shows, 'Van Morrison's Astral Weeks: Live At The Hollywood Bowl' was released in February 2009 on Morrison's new label, Listen To The Lion Records/EMI, to huge critical acclaim. read more
Price: £200-£39
Age Suitability: None Specified
Tags: pop, van

These concerts will be the very first time that Van Morrison has performed his revered 1968 album, Astral Weeks, in the UK. He will also perform many of his classic hits. The UK concerts follow last November's sell-out, rave reviewed performances at LA's Hollywood Bowl. The album of these shows, 'Van Morrison's Astral Weeks: Live At The Hollywood Bowl' was released in February 2009 on Morrison's new label, Listen To The Lion Records/EMI, to huge critical acclaim.
Joining Van Morrison on stage will be an orchestral string section and a band of world-class musicians, some of whom played with Van Morrison on the original 'Astral Weeks' recording sessions some 40 years ago.

Any of you lads that have never heard him here's a Sweet Thing

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby GYBS » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:14 pm

NiftyNeil wrote:
GYBS wrote:Why cant i have a greatest hits album as one of my favs ?!

Good shout on rumours and Cranberries DAlglish

Because it's a complilation of songs, not an album as such. It can be one of your personal favourites (I love it myself), but it couldn't be classed as one of the greatest albums ever.

hence why i gave the list as my personal favs as opposed to greatest album ever - as i think there will never be an answer to that question .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:22 pm

andy_g wrote:agree with your principles there dawsonio, but not with your choice of examples;

sex pistols i'll go along with  - i don't think anyone that understands anything about music can deny the huge influence and catalytic effect they had on the developlment of music in the uk and the states. as much as i like the pixies i wouldn't say they were so influential on other bands to anywhere near the same degree. the stone roses were a part of scene rather than the creators of it, oasis are just a bag of sh!te who put out a great first album but nothing of note or any originality since then - they are followers rather than leaders.

i think you have to be looking at those bands on the vanguard at various points in musical history - so i guess you have to be looking at bands like the beatles, sex pistols, the fall ( :;): ) etc etc...

andy, the reason I put in Oasis is just that the first album changed things. It was when britpop was at its biggest, and music was going downhill, then Definately Maybe came out, and blew everything away.

Same with the strokes, in the midst of emo and punkraptechno whatever linking park were The Strokes came out, blew everything else away
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:37 pm

What's The Story (Morning Glory)
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
Dark Side of The Moon
A Rush of Blood To The Head

In no particular order.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:40 pm

you a coldplay fan then emerald ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:58 pm

Gotta include one of my all-time faves here....

Big Country - The Crossing.......an absolute classic. Every single track was a belter...

And another couple for the craic....

New Gold Dream and Sparkle in the Rain - Simple Minds....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:06 pm

GYBS wrote:you a coldplay fan then emerald ?

You could say that. I like a lot of their stuff, so yeah. Although none of their albums can hardly be considered seminal. There are far better and greater albums that would be an insult to compare to any of their work, but that was one album of theirs in the last decade that I really enjoyed. I also liked X&Y.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:09 pm

Thats cool mate - seen them a few times in concert and got all the albums and they are superb live .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Emerald Red wrote:

You could say that. I like a lot of their stuff, so yeah. Although none of their albums can hardly be considered seminal. There are far better and greater albums that would be an insult to compare to any of their work, but that was one album of theirs in the last decade that I really enjoyed. I also liked X&Y.

I really hate them, feel every song is the same. "lets write a slow song about lonliness guys"

Oasis were hardly seminal, I liked the first two albums but they are a beatles rip off with a touch of Nirvana thrown in.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:58 pm

Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds

Aerosmith - Big Ones and Nine Lives.

Classics.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:14 pm

Big Niall wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:

I really hate them, feel every song is the same. "lets write a slow song about lonliness guys"

Oasis were hardly seminal, I liked the first two albums but they are a beatles rip off with a touch of Nirvana thrown in.

Hear, hear....
I fookin' hate Coldplay. Borrrriiinnngggg....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:44 pm

Coldplay. Lossed out musically to an annoying ringtone with a frog as the staple of it.

Says it all really doesnt it? Annoying ringtone or annoying "band"?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum