Best album ever

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Homebooby » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:23 pm

Big Niall wrote:I'm not a hardcore metallica fan but it seems from this thread that the ones that are have master of puppets as being their best work.

I assumed it would be the black album (one of my top ten albums) - sad but true is a classic.

Black album is the one that everyone knows that 'true' fans reject.

Most people traditionally cite MOP, but as with most bands, it's a period that is classic, not one album

Ride, Puppets and Justice cemented the band in history forever.

You could argue the same for Queen, the creative spell they had between Queen 2 and NOTW is phenomenal, especially considering the relative lack of technology they had at their fingertips. Roy Thomas Baker is a genius producer too.

That;s the thing I think everyone is missing on here, each band will have a purple patch which lasts about 5 years where you just can't fault them.
Homebooby

Postby GOAT » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:23 pm

Big Niall wrote:I'm not a hardcore metallica fan but it seems from this thread that the ones that are have master of puppets as being their best work.

I assumed it would be the black album (one of my top ten albums) - sad but true is a classic.

No chance the first 4 albums blow the black album away, black album is just a lot more mainstream so it's more noticed
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Homebooby » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:25 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Probably won't get many votes on newkit (cause half you f'kers weren't born when it came out ) but this album has gotta be up there as the , most complete, worldwide smash hit, best album ever .

(And it's got liverpool in the video :D  )

Macca

Never gotten into the album, but the song itself is amazing imho.

Macca always blows hot and cold for me...for every one of these, there's a frog chorus, or a sappy ballad to his wife.
Homebooby

Postby GOAT » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:26 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
GOAT wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:Deep Purple In Rock. END OF. :p :D :D

Child In Time :buttrock

You've got me listening to that now

Deep Purple in Rock , brilliant album   :buttrock 

But (imo) their masterpiece is "Machine Head" , never mind that it's got the legendary "Smoke on the Water" , wrap yer ears around "Lazy" and "Highway Star" 

Yeah, In Rock, Fireball and Machine Head had the classic line up and they were probably the best, I like every song on them 3
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Number 9 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:58 pm

Homebooby wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Probably won't get many votes on newkit (cause half you f'kers weren't born when it came out ) but this album has gotta be up there as the , most complete, worldwide smash hit, best album ever .

Macca

Macca always blows hot and cold for me...for every one of these, there's a frog chorus, or a sappy ballad to his wife.

Nothing wrong with the frog chorus,its meant to be a laugh...ah remember the pipes of peace!
Great tune about the British and Germans getting out of their trenches during the war and having a game of footy on Xmas day!
Then thet got back to business next day! :D and :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVK_mJrLbmY
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:43 pm

Number 9 wrote:
Homebooby wrote:

Macca

Nothing wrong with the frog chorus,its meant to be a laugh...ah remember the pipes of peace!
Great tune about the British and Germans getting out of their trenches during the war and having a game of footy on Xmas day!
Then thet got back to business next day! :D and :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVK_mJrLbmY

that english goal didn't cross the line :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:45 pm

GOAT wrote:

No chance the first 4 albums blow the black album away, black album is just a lot more mainstream so it's more noticed

from memory, with the exception of "one" most of the music in the early albums just sounded really loud and fast. I guess if that is what you are into, then just check out speed metal and all that stuff.

the black album slowed it down a tempo and you could hear the lyrics.

It isn't a case of being old I was only about 12 at their peak.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Not in any specific order, but these would be up there on my list:

Nirvana - Nevermind
Pixies - Doolittle
Foo Fighters - Colour and the Shape
Weezer - 'the blue album'
Deftones - Around the fur
Oasis - Morning Glory
Ash - 1977
Metallica - Black Album
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
Jimi Hendrix - 'The Experience'

Albums like Nevermind and Morning Glory are hard to listen to now they're so overplayed, but they were unbelievable in their day.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:24 pm

Big Niall wrote:
GOAT wrote:

from memory, with the exception of "one" most of the music in the early albums just sounded really loud and fast. I guess if that is what you are into, then just check out speed metal and all that stuff.

the black album slowed it down a tempo and you could hear the lyrics.

It isn't a case of being old I was only about 12 at their peak.

All i can say is  :no

lol a lot of their early work were masterpieces musically, I can't say that about as much of the black album, there is some great stuff but not much stands out as special

The earlier albums are faster yeah, but even if you don't like that stuff specifically Metallica are brilliant songwriters and master composers and them albums are known as some of the greatest of all time in the whole Heavy Metal genre, Master of Puppets is considered one of the best ever period

Have you heard Fade To black, Orion, Sanitarium? They are a couple of slower ones if you don't like the fast stuff

Yes, I am a HUGE metallica fan haha

Oh and I'm not a big fan of speed metal
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:18 pm

I haven't listened to those albums in about 20 years - maybe I'll check them out again.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:38 pm

well Phil Spector won't be producing anymore albums...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:50 pm

Black and White ,The Stranglers
Crocodile ,Echo and The Bunnymen
Van Morrison, Astral Weeks
Pearl ,Janice Joplin
Ok Computer, Radiohead
Beggars Banquet ,Rolling Stones
Quadrophenia ,The Who
Moonflower,Santana
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway,Genesis
Metal Box, Public Image

The list could go on and on ,but just selected 10 that have been hugely relevant in my life  :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:56 am

Number 9 wrote:
NiftyNeil wrote:Some of Nifty's favourites are:
Revolver - The Beatles
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
Master of Puppets - Metallica
Stoneroses - Stoneroses
Definitely Maybe - Oasis
The Queen is Dead - The Smiths
Automatic for the People - REM
Hot Fuss - The Killers

You should be shot for putting the killers beside some of those you mentioned! :laugh:

Cheesiest band about..they make me want to vomit!

NO OFFENCE LIKE! :D

:D

None taken. Hot Fuss is a classic though.  :;):
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:11 am

Why I have The Stranglers at no.1 is when Eric's opened in Liverpool they were the opening act ,and I was only 12 at the time ,but I had grown up listening to our kids singles .
I was devastated he wouldn't take me with him and his mates ,I finally got in 4 yrs later as an angry 16yr old, never seen the Stranglers though ,but I did see such bands as the Undertones,Uk Subs,Joy Division ,The Skids ,Stiff Little Fingers,Killing Joke,The Specials ,at that time Erics in Liverpool was the centre of the universe ,well it was to a rebellious anarchic teen . :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:24 am

GOAT wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:Deep Purple In Rock. END OF. :p :D :D

Child In Time :buttrock

You've got me listening to that now

Brilliant, brilliant album mate.

Absolutely love it...... if you get the chance, listen to the Machine Head album as well their live album, Made in Japan. My all time favourite live recording.

Music at its rawest and soul moving form.
Ritchie Blackmore maybe an absolute moody tw@t and may not be the most technically gifted guitarist but he is by far the most emotive one I've ever heard.

:bowdown
ConnO'var

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum