Best album ever

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby dawson99 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:36 pm

burjennio wrote:music is MUSIC- not image, not hype its about creating ART

but art isn't just in the ears, its in the eyes, in the mind. IF there was no sex pistols there would be no pixies, so no nirvana, so probably no oasis, no strokes...

id there was no pink floyd thered be no.... orbital?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:51 pm

There was a decent programme on Channel 4 a few years ago - The Top 100 albums.

Good programme about 3 hours long, they had a good few artists talking about each album.

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band got the top spot; Bob Geldof gave a good little appraisal
of it, remember him saying it was the closest to Mozart that popular music has ever got.
A Day in the Life is pure class, to think it was written back in 60's too.

Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix got No. 4 I think.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm

dawson pink floyd are one of the biggest selling bands in history, they were great songwriters as well as fantastic musicians,they were also arrogant pretentious tw@ts. the sex pistols influenced people that wrote 3 chord masterieces about wonderwalls and smelling of teen spirit, they were also arrogant pretentious prats but they had zero talent and were total hype. They were in the right place at the right time and they resonated with the disillusioned youth of the era. Luck over talent. Nirvana were the same. I would throw The Doors in with that mix only Jim Morrison could at least sing. Strike a chord with impressionable teenagers and imortality will be your reward (If you needlessly die of drug/drink/shotgun abuse)

ACDC would eat and sh1t every one of them, they loved sex, drugs and rock and roll too but at least the mother :censored:£rs could play! (I know im a douche for mouthin about people needlessly dying stupidly when Bon Scot died stupidly but hell, Brian Johnstons awesome!)
burjennio

Postby dawson99 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm

Would love to see how the voting would go here, for top beatles album, ... Sgt Peppers wouldnt be mine... probably Revolver for me
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:03 am

I dont think its possible to say a certain album is the best ever. Music is much more than that: you could have twenty albums that you equally love and it wouldn't be right or fair to say that one is better than the others. Same with books and films.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:32 am

i always thought the beatles were overrated, let me hold your hand is up there with boyzone.

pink floyd like led zepellan and queen are different class.

i have given you brits stick on many occassions but you have produced some classics.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:36 am

Don't forget Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead and more
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby burjennio » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:50 am

queen are the greatest band ever in my opinion, but i think that they never had a single album that I would classify as "greatest ever" I think the most quality songs they ever had on a single album was The Works ( radio gaga, i want to break free, hammer to fall, its a hard life).
burjennio

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:50 am

I gotta admit "rock on"

I love british music.

:buttrock
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:15 am

Big Niall wrote:i always thought the beatles were overrated, let me hold your hand is up there with boyzone.

"I Want to Hold Your Hand" is a song by the English pop and rock band The Beatles. Written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney,
and recorded in October 1963, it was the first Beatles record to be made using four-track equipment.
McCartney and Lennon did not have any particular inspiration for the song. Instead, they had received specific instructions from
manager Brian Epstein to write a song with the American market in mind.

"I Want to Hold Your Hand" was the band's first number-one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart,
starting the British Invasion of the United States music charts.
Last edited by Effes on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:40 am

burjennio wrote:music is MUSIC- not image, not hype its about creating ART

You've potentially opened up a can of worms with that statement, of which can be debated withing a topic all of its own. What is art, and how can it be defined.

I like the Sex Pistols because they were unique in their own way. It was all about the act for them, and they inspired a lot of groups for it. They deserve their own special place in the rock and roll hall of fame IMO, though not my cup of tea, but I can respect something for what it is.

Pink Floyd for me wrote some brilliant songs, and although I can respect their music for the technical side of it (they were amazing musicians) a lot of their stuff was just too far gone and egotistical for my taste. I mean, the way the guitar solos go off into these convoluted and protracted jams just smacks of arrogance to me. Like, "Hey! look what I can do on the guitar," just for the sake of it. OK, you can jam out Mr Gilmore. We get it, but for f*ck sake give it a rest. Those boys were on some hard sh*t, I tell ye.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:47 am

burjennio wrote:queen are the greatest band ever in my opinion, but i think that they never had a single album that I would classify as "greatest ever" I think the most quality songs they ever had on a single album was The Works ( radio gaga, i want to break free, hammer to fall, its a hard life).

You're probably right there. Although Queen aren't exactly my cup of tea again (not much is) I still like a lot of their music and can appreciate them for the band they were. I'd say they were probably the best band live, ever, though I'm not sure. It's just the glam rock 70's vibe that I don't really like. Freddy Mercury, however, is easily the best rock singer to have ever lived, without question. His eclectic ranges and styles are just something else, and it transmitted into the group's music as well. They did write some strange songs, though. Fat Bottom Girls and I Want To Ride My Bicycle were just,well, sh*te really. Lyrically speaking.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:52 am

what is art? lets ask wiki!

Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music and literature

i would class art as the end result of a combination of vision, talent and perseverance
burjennio

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 am

burjennio wrote:what is art? lets ask wiki!

Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music and literature

i would class art as the end result of a combination of vision, talent and perseverance

I always found it odd how people would quote people of historical prestige like whatever they had to say on a particular subject as a matter of opinion was a defining opinion, especially on the subject of art.

I have my own interpretation, and it's a little more esoteric than Mr Wilde's there.

Yeats had a very good opinion:

"Art is not the chief end of life, but an accident in one's search for reality."

I like that.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:21 pm

Effes wrote:
Big Niall wrote:i always thought the beatles were overrated, let me hold your hand is up there with boyzone.

"I Want to Hold Your Hand" is a song by the English pop and rock band The Beatles. Written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney,
and recorded in October 1963, it was the first Beatles record to be made using four-track equipment.
McCartney and Lennon did not have any particular inspiration for the song. Instead, they had received specific instructions from
manager Brian Epstein to write a song with the American market in mind.

"I Want to Hold Your Hand" was the band's first number-one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart,
starting the British Invasion of the United States music charts.

it was :censored: though. they did some good stuff towards the end but all that pop stuff is just the same quality as busted, let loose etc

freddie mercury could be like elvis one second and then burst into opera and then end with a great pop hook. best showman hands down too (robbie williams is blackpool pier impersonator on a bad karaoke night)

i also think very little of the sex pistols, if you weren't around back then their music doesn't hold up. I mean people listen to handel 250 years after his death(or birth, not sure) but nobody under 40 listens to the sex pistols.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum