Aussie fires

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Espionage » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:07 am

Any of the Aussies on here affected by the fires? Death toll is at 150 and rising.

I grew up Kilmore where one of the biggest fires started though i now live in Melbourne, the house i grew in was about a kilometer away from being burnt. I lived on 28 acres completely surrounded by either grassland or bush in a cedar wood house: it would have been toast. I know several families that lost everything besides their lives.

Pretty crazy stuff

Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:57 am

Terrible stuff that, feel for them.

Doesnt affect me, I'm in far North Queensland, we've got the other end of the spectrum ... The floods !

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:42 am

Yeah im on west coast, we have had a few nasty bushfires as is norm this time of the year but nothing like that firestorm that hit those poor bloody Victorians
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:52 am

Terrible news, how did this start? And how come it spread so quicky with people still in their houses?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:06 am

47 degrees Celsius (the hottest day on record) and 90km winds. Also the colour of the Australian landscape in places like Victoria at this time of the year is brown so the fires travel over 40km/h through bush land. Some of the worst towns hit are reasonably small communities that are surrounded by bush lands.

Bushfires happen every year in Australia, often the best thing is to stay and fight and protect your house. Even still, with a fire front that is traveling 40ks an hour you dont have much time to change your mind.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:15 am

Ciggy wrote:Terrible news, how did this start? And how come it spread so quicky with people still in their houses?

Well there are stories that incredibly some if not most of it is the result of arson. Kevin Rudd apparently described it as mass murder, and it's hard to argue.

I don't know how any society will deal with a convicted arsonist in these circumstances, what happens when they are let out for instance? It's also a tragedy that it's probably daft kids who when they get to an age where they can appreciate what they've done, will endure a living hell of their own.

We've had really hot weather in Christchurch this last couple of weeks, but over in Oz it's much hotter and I can't imagine what it must be like when the firs service are saying to people you can either stay or you can leave and hope your house survives. One whole town got wiped out, and it's a human disaster on a massive scale.

The best thing that could happen is for God to smile on the people of Victoria and give the poor buggers the biggest rainstorm in decades. I know the Kiwi govt has given a few quid (not much but they haven't got a pot to p!ss in to be fair) but I hope the major economies of the World dig deep as well. We could do a lot worse in the UK than host a charity phone in thing on the telly, as well as the govt pledging a wadge of cash and assistance. the Americans as well would do well to remember which side their breads buttered on.

I know they're a pain when they keep beating us at cricket, but the Aussies are on our side and we should be returning some of the favours they've done us in the past.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:16 am

Espionage wrote:47 degrees Celsius (the hottest day on record) and 90km winds. Also the colour of the Australian landscape in places like Victoria at this time of the year is brown so the fires travel over 40km/h through bush land. Some of the worst towns hit are reasonably small communities that are surrounded by bush lands.

Bushfires happen every year in Australia, often the best thing is to stay and fight and protect your house. Even still, with a fire front that is traveling 40ks an hour you dont have much time to change your mind.

We've had it hot in Christchurch these last few weeks, but even then it's not a patch on Australia. Even here its been blisteringly, punishingly hot so i can't even begin to imagine what 47 degrees feels like.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:38 am

ive been in egypt when its topped 50 mate
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:39 am

Judge wrote:ive been in egypt when its topped 50 mate

It was 50 in Turkey a few years ago I ended up in hossie for 5 days dehydrated worst holiday ever  :glare:  :no
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:41 am

Ciggy wrote:

It was 50 in Turkey a few years ago I ended up in hossie for 5 days dehydrated worst holiday ever  :glare:  :no

the heat can be terrible without fire.

the key is to stay in the shade, drink plenty of water and stay off the booze
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:47 am

Judge wrote:
Ciggy wrote:

the heat can be terrible without fire.

the key is to stay in the shade, drink plenty of water and stay off the booze

precisely, and that's why it's a barstard. You find it impossible to stay in the shade, the last thing you want is water, and the thing you want most is a fecking sh!tload of booze.

Talking of Turkey, I went to Marmaris once. Lovely and all that, but fecking unbelieveably hot. Just about the only time when you could function was from about 8pm onwards. By far the best way to deal with it was to sleep during the day and then get absolutely b0ll0xed each night, necessatating a huge sleep in next day. You drink water like a good un as well. I'm not sure the doctors would recommend it but they should.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:51 am

bigmick wrote:Talking of Turkey, I went to Marmaris once. Lovely and all that, but fecking unbelieveably hot. Just about the only time when you could function was from about 8pm onwards. By far the best way to deal with it was to sleep during the day and then get absolutely b0ll0xed each night, necessatating a huge sleep in next day. You drink water like a good un as well. I'm not sure the doctors would recommend it but they should.

It was vile you couldnt breath and when you did you where breathing in hot air like a feckin dragon :D, the heat was staggering, I was only there 1 day then got ill at 10 the next mornin, I wasnt even on the booze either. Never again and that was in June in Alanya.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Strange thing is Monday Tuesday and Wednesday are forecasted for 21 19 and 17 degrees, after 47.

Go figure
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:31 pm

my family lives in Narre Warren (if you know where it is Espionage) and my bro-in-law texted me saying how 6 houses in his street got burnt down. cant they firefighters like arrange for helicopters to spray water to combat the fire? ???
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Espionage » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:41 pm

I know Narre Warren

The problem is many kilometers wide so its not easy to fight it, apparently it was a just about the worst possible conditions being 47 degrees, zero humidity (or something like that) and 90km/h winds. Places that are usually defendable just stood no chance.

I spoke to someone who had a brother who was on a fire truck in Wandong (a town that got almost completely destroyed), they got called to Kilmore where the fire started (about 10 minute drive) and by the time they were half way there, the fire fire department called them back because the fire station was on fire. When its going at 40km/h at up to 100ft high there is not much you can do.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum