Asian invasion - Oriental film

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Number 9 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:42 am

Igor Zidane wrote:Chao woo park (sp)  double bill on film 4 on thursday from 9PM if anyones interested .

OLDBOY AND I'M A CYBORG BUT THAT OK !

Think i'll give em a go .

Have'nt seen im a cyborg yet!That'll do me thurs night! :nod
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:59 am

woof woof ! wrote:Finally got "I'm a cyborg, but thats ok"

Like watching  "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest"  on acid  ! .

It won't be everyone's cup of tea. A film that's so stunningly inventive, it straddles a line between genius and sheer lunacy.

Loved it.  :)

2nd trailer

Cyborg deffo worth catching and Old Boy is legendary. Great double bill.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:10 pm

woof woof ! wrote: :D

Ok two to really look out for

smashing box office records in china and for fans of Chinese historical epics John Woo's

Red Cliff - extended trailer

and for martial arts fans Jackie Chan/Sammo Hungs'

WUSHU

that WUSHU looks great. at least the martial arts look believable, rather than folk flying aimlessly thru the air defying gravity, like most other martial arts films

it looks great.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Rather new to the whole Asian film scene but we've managed to see a few Asian horror/supernatural thriller movies and are starting to get intrigued by what else is out there.  Recommendations are very welcome in this genre.

Anyway, caught the Korean film "A Tale of Two Sisters" (Janghwa, Hongryeon) last night and enjoyed it for the most part.  There were certainly some disturbing scenes that were familiar from watching The Grudge and The Ring.  The story was a bit hard to follow though--particularly at the end, where it's hard to differentiate between what's in the character's head and what's being shown to the audience as reality.  Still, worth a look if you're into this genre.

I enjoyed "Gong Tau" recently.Its a supernatural thriller/horror about oriental black magic,basically a cop trying to lift a curse from his family!At first you wonder why they have been cursed,after a while it becomes very clear why and who's fault it is...I dont make it sound very good but I really enjoyed it!
Heres a trailer! :)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2huAtoYgU
Worth a watch if ya can find it!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:42 pm

Watched R Point a Korean war/ghost story.I think its obvious that in certain movies ya need to open your mind to their culture,the things they find scary and stuff as opposed to our way of thinking.Sorry it was just shi'te.fell asleep!

Mongol on the other hand i felt spent an hour and a half building up to a good movie then just failed away to fuc.k all!Yeah Ok he stayed in a cage and he got out but how did he conquer half the world?
I wanna know!

Two movies I would'nt rush to see,I have Story of Ricky on its way and i may watch visitor Q again!!
Really dissapointed with Mongol!! :(
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:42 am

Red Cliff .

Spectacular in every sense and yet ultimately unsatisfying the tale set in ancient China during one of it most tumultous periods is certainly pleasing to the eye and as expected the action sequences from director John (The Killer, Hard Boiled) Woo are prolonged and inventive, involving thousands of extras and the deft use of CGI. When however the film is not engaging us with admittedly top notch action we are treated to some cheesy characterization as the extensive and to us westerners baffling list of protagonists and their varying relationships and allegiances are explored. Admittedly the ability to understand Mandarin ( :D ) would have perhaps made this aspect of the film more enjoyable, the copy I watched provided miniscule subtitles that left the screen almost as quickly as they appeared.

To those who were wowed by the brilliance of other Chinese blockbusters such as "Hero" and "House of Flying Daggers" be warned, Red Cliff, despite it massive size and well handled execution is not in the same league. It is however entertaining fare and I'll certainly buy another bucket of popcorn and settle down to watch Red Cliff part 2 when it is released next year.
Image rating 6/10

Red Cliff Trailer
Last edited by woof woof ! on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:06 am

woof woof ! wrote:Red Cliff .

Spectacular in every sense and yet ultimately unsatisfying the tale set in ancient China during one of it most tumultous periods is certainly pleasing to the eye and as expected the action sequences from director John (The Killer, Hard Boiled) Woo are prolonged and inventive, involving thousands of extras and the deft use of CGI. When however the film is not engaging us with admittedly top notch action we are treated to some cheesy characterization as the extensive and to us westerners baffling list of protagonists and their varying relationships and allegiances are explored. Admittedly the ability to understand Mandarin ( :D ) would have perhaps made this aspect of the film more enjoyable, the copy I watched provided miniscule subtitles that left the screen almost as quickly as they appeared.

To those who were wowed by the brilliance of other Chinese blockbusters such as "Hero" and "House of Flying Daggers" be warned, Red Cliff, despite it massive size and well handled execution is not in the same league. It is however entertaining fare and I'll certainly buy another bucket of popcorn and settle down to watch Red Cliff part 2 when it is released next year.
Image rating 6/10

Red Cliff Trailer

Well i finally got to watch Red Cliff after it arrived yesterday. I 've got to say i loved it , but i'm pretty easy to please .

The characters relationships with one another is really interesting and for once i found myself taking alot more notice of the characters and there interlocking relationships ,rather the just the amazing fight/action sequences.
Sun quan's sister kicks @rse in this film and the things she's does with her little fingers on pressure points are pretty impressive ,some funny stuff in there wiith her.
The relationship between Zhu-ge and Zhou yu is an enthralling one (it's all going to end in tears i tell yer) . THey are two impressive commanders and tacticians and are working together to defeat Cao Cao (the baddy) who is not really a bad guy just old and stuck in his ways ,with a tendancy to wage war . He's a pretty sad character really and inwardly tortured i think .

Once again the scenary is breathtaking (cgi or not ) and the whole epic feel of the film made it more enjoyable . It done my head in the way the film ended ,but that was obviously to set you up for part 2 ,which i will get when it comes out .

The subtitles were fine for me woof , big enough ,if a little quick .

Like i say i loved it and i'm going to watch it again once i've boxed the kids off to school in a bit .

8/10 for me and can't wait for part 2.
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:21 am

I certainly enjoyed Red Cliff Igor but the copy I saw was a torrent with very small and difficult to read subtitles, which made it difficult to become fully engaged with all that was going on in the film. You mention that the dvd has decent subs so I will be ordering it from my Hong Kong supplier.

ps, don't forget to look out for Three Kingdoms - Resurrection of the Dragon it's revolves around the same story line as Red Cliff but a different telling, guarantee you'll love it.

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:33 am

woof woof ! wrote:I certainly enjoyed Red Cliff Igor but the copy I saw was a torrent with very small and difficult to read subtitles, which made it difficult to become fully engaged with all that was going on in the film. You mention that the dvd has decent subs so I will be ordering it from my Hong Kong supplier.

ps, don't forget to look out for Three Kingdoms - Resurrection of the Dragon it's revolves around the same story line as Red Cliff but a different telling, guarantee you'll love it.

:)

just ordered it now woof , cdwow , god i'm a sucker.
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:22 am

Just recieved Thrree Kingdoms , yesterday . Don't know when i'm going to get to watch it mind you . Can't get past Peppa PiG or THE SUITE LIFE OF ZAC AND CODY . Marvelous ???  :no
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:07 am

:D , obviously the kids control the remote ?

Three Kingdoms is stunning Igor, watched it and Red Cliff again last week and whilst Red Cliff is good, for me Three Kingdoms is even better.

reminder

trailer
Last edited by woof woof ! on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:33 pm

Im sure its probably mentioned tonnes of times in this thread as its a well known film but Battle Royale is cool! Takeshi Kitano is a great director. Decent actor too.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:13 am

He's legend mate  :buttrock , perhaps best known in the west for Battle Royale and the dopey tv "Takeshi's Castle" whilst much of his other stuff, some of it brilliant, goes largely unnoticed.

Hana Bi

Brother

Kikujiro (the idea here is to stop a car and get a lift

:laugh: )

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:56 pm

Ok i gets home from work last night , i thought this is the perfect oppotunity to watch three kingdoms . I put the dvd in and what happens , i get a message up on the tele saying Wrong region and it wont feckin play . Any idea's anyone?
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Bummer Igor, can you not program your dvd player to play all regions ? My lad sorted mine but tbh I'm not sure quite how he did it (google might help). Option 2 , try playing it through your PC (I'm assuming your pc is connected up to your TV)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum