Asian invasion - Oriental film

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:01 pm

old boy was on film 4 again last, got it on dvd but watched it again, too funny a film
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:14 pm

:D  Glad you enjoyed them Barry. Now keep your eye's peeled for the classic "Story of Ricky"

One reviewer on IMDB.com wrote this: “it’s so bad you’ll die laughing”. That seems to be the common consensus with “Story of Ricky”, and it’s a highly accurate at that. The movie is really just an excuse to showcase groovy ways to punch holes through someone’s midsection, chest cavity, mouth, and literally take out someone’s eye in various ways. In short, “Ricky” is the epitome of brainless, mindless, and just pure lack-of-reason fun. And unlike the splatterfest of Takashi Miike  “Ricky” is so incompetent in everything it does that you can’t help but like it.
(Beyond Hollywood partial review)

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:20 pm

dawson99 wrote:old boy was on film 4 again last, got it on dvd but watched it again, too funny a film

Definitely in my all time best top ten asian movies Dawsinio.

Reminder for those who may have missed it - trailer

:buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Number 9 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:26 pm

woof woof ! wrote: :D  Glad you enjoyed them Barry. Now keep your eye's peeled for the classic "Story of Ricky"

One reviewer on IMDB.com wrote this: “it’s so bad you’ll die laughing”. That seems to be the common consensus with “Story of Ricky”, and it’s a highly accurate at that. The movie is really just an excuse to showcase groovy ways to punch holes through someone’s midsection, chest cavity, mouth, and literally take out someone’s eye in various ways. In short, “Ricky” is the epitome of brainless, mindless, and just pure lack-of-reason fun. And unlike the splatterfest of Takashi Miike  “Ricky” is so incompetent in everything it does that you can’t help but like it.
(Beyond Hollywood partial review)

:D

Cheers I will seek it out!
Sounds a laugh! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Just sat through a great Sunday Matinee.

The Three Kingdoms - Resurrection of the Dragon

Whilst bearing a storyline of the simplest invention (harking back to the unification of the separate kingdoms of China), revolving around the four pillars of Chinese historical cinema, i.e. brotherhood, duty, honour and heroism,  this movie more than made up for it's shallowly explored premise in terms of sheer spectacle. Once again another stunning feast of visuals from China. Fantastic battle scenes , thousands of extra's, brilliant cinematography, a soundtrack that gives a massive salute to the best of Sergi Leone, Andy Lau, Maggie Q and Sammo Hung in the lead roles.

Loved every popcorn munching minute of it .

Trailer

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:38 am

Just watched a Chinese war movie called Assembly.

Captain Gu Zidi is a survivor against his will. His company are decimated in an ambush by the Kuomintang, and when they regroup, they are posted to an un-winnable front, ill-equipped and vastly outnumbered against the KMT.  The diminished company is sent to head up the front, and though they hold off the enemy a number of times, it is clear they cannot win, and they wait in desperation for the bugle call to retreat. The call never comes and they fight on.

A few years later, Captain Gu sits in a military hospital, the only survivor. He can’t remember exactly how the final moments of battle played out, or how he survived. When he was found by the People’s Liberation Army, he was wearing the enemy uniform, and the records of his Company are unavailable, so no one can verify his story. Rather than be turned out of the hospital to fend for himself, he persuades the officers to let him join another company, so that he can keep fighting. Against all odds, Gu continues to survive, in spite of continually putting himself at risk to save others, reasoning that he has the least to live for. He becomes increasingly determined to prove the truth of his story, and find his ‘brothers’, the men of his company, who are all buried in a mine where they last fought.

If you like war movies add this one to your list , it's up there with the very best.

Assembly - trailer

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Number 9 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:14 am

Cant seem to find story of Ricky anywhere!
Can Woof or Dawson recommend any more movies in the genre of Ichi  or Vistitor Q.
Yeah more mad movies please!! :D

I watched a Japanese short movie the other day my mate told me about.He said A famous Holywood actor watched it one time and called the cops because he was sure it was real...anyone ever seen this??
Dont really want to put the name of it up incase I offend anyone,i know its only a movie but ya know how some people are when they are taken out of their comfort zone!! :laugh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:15 am

Unfortunately Baz, haven't found many movies with the class and craziness of Ichi or Visitor Q, but as you seem to be enjoying some asian movies would recommend you look out for, Old Boy, Sympathy for Lady Vengeace, and The Freezer (aka Freeze Me). All top notch, I'm sure you'd enjoy them.

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:17 am

woof, whats the best asian film youve seen that you would recommend?
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:54 am

Judge wrote:woof, whats the best asian film youve seen that you would recommend?

Bloody hell Judge, thats a hard one. There's at least four distinct genres that I enjoy and they're all very different. The modern drama's, martial arts, the samurai era and the supernatural/horror.

So much really good stuff has been produced in Asian cinema, I could easily give you half a dozen titles for each category, but I'd be hard pressed to say which is the best.

If pushed I'd say "Old Boy" for modern drama, "Fist of Legend" for Martial Arts, "The Hidden Blade" for Samurai and "Versus" for supernatural/horror.

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:26 am

cheers mate

i watched omm bak, i think it was called and i found that pretty good

i like the action martial arts films best
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:38 am

oooh, can i play...best asian?

modern drama: old boy - got to agree
crime: Infernal Affairs - the first one
sick - ichi the killer
disturbing - suicide club or audition
weird - im a cyborg but thats ok
martial arts/samurai - zatoichi im going for
classic: Shichinin no samurai (seven Samurai)
tv series: MONKEY!!!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:47 am

Cheers Woof and Dawson,Will be giving Old Boy and Suicide club a look at weekend! :nod

Judge just watch Visitor Q it will 100% DEFINATELY be your cup of tea! :D I can give you link if yo want so you dont need to download it!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:55 pm

cheers baz, as long as its work safe, i know you, you pervy slut :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:51 pm

Judge wrote:cheers baz, as long as its work safe, i know you, you pervy slut :D

No Judge dont watch it in the hospital!! :laugh:  :laugh:

They will cart you off to the psychiatric ward,in fact do watch it in work then!! :oh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum