Asian invasion - Oriental film

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:26 pm

Ahem, do any of our North American Members go to the cinema ?

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:29 pm

genius trailor, definately one for my list woof, cheers :)
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:04 pm

me list too having seen the trailer, cheers
just seen "curse of the golden flowers"
what you guys think this one? :)
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:19 pm

not seen it yet, another one on my list. any film with li gong and chow yun fat is gonna pretty class tho

and directed by hero/house of flying dagegrs guy, you know its gonna look absolute class
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:34 pm

Haven't seen it yet but many reviewers are raving .

"Pardon the momentary lapse into geek-speak, but Zhang Yimou's latest wu xia spectacle Curse of the Golden Flower is ten kinds of awesome."

"Another glorious spectacle where Mr. Zhang finds new ways to leave you stunned and amazed with every passing frame."

"Eye-popping. One of the year's most spectacularly visual treats. It has wide-screen images that are beyond astounding."

Can't wait . :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:51 pm

I hate asian films (don't tell Woof) :D

I heard that  :angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:18 am

Finally got my mitts on a copy of "Curse of the Golden Flower"

For those of you that like your movies a bit ott the good news is Golden Flower is absolutely spectacular .Although the story line is not as engaging as previous Chinese blockbusters (Crouching Tiger, Hero , Flying Daggers ) for sheer scale and spectacle this is up there with the very best . Costume and set design are so incredible that at times whilst watching I wondered if I was suffering an acid flashback :D

The meat of the movie is essentially the story of the emperor (Chow Yun Fat) slowly poisoning his wife (Gong Li ) with repeated doses of "medicine" that will not kill her but will little by little turn her into a gibbering cretin . She of course discovers his plan and takes steps to thwart him .Add to this the fact that mum is sha'gging her eldest son who in turn is sha'gging his sister and it's easy to grasp that life in the royal palace isn't all it's cracked up to be .

The final showdown involving an ARMY of CHINESE NINJA'S versus literally THOUSANDS of palace guards is an eye popping blood soaked massively inventive display of spectacular combat .

Highly recommended .

Before the fight

After the fight

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:29 am

Also viewed this week

THE BALLAD OF NARAYAMA
In a remote 19th-century village in Japan, food is so scarce that babies are left in fields to die, and thieves who steal a few potatoes are buried alive with their families. And when the elderly reach the age of 70, they are banished to a frigid mountain so that their families won't have to feed them. The film begins one winter, as the 69-year-old Orin (Sumiko Sakamoto) prepares to ascend Mount Narayama. Meanwhile, one of her sons tries to convince her to live, while her other son, who has body odor problems, desperately searches for sexual release.

Engrossing if sometimes slightly disturbing .  WARNING,  in one scene a man sneaks up behind a dog and f'ucks it   :wwww  .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:41 am

Watched last night and it's excellent

A lyrical, visually stunning work that deviates considerably from Takashi Miike's signature gorefests, BIRD PEOPLE IN CHINA nonetheless explores many of his unifying themes; these include that of outsiders in pursuit of happiness in a foreign land, and a complex and unlikely relationship, played out this time between a mobster and a quiet businessman. Wada is a handsome salaryman who works for a jade company interested in mining a recently-discovered vein that runs through a remote village in China. The company sends Wada to investigate its purity, and en route he encounters a yakuza intent on securing a share of the company's profits for the mob. Together they set out for the village, guided by Shen, an old Chinese man whose sense of direction is doubtful. But Wada and the Yakuza are in constant conflict, irritating each other at every opportunity. Upon their eventual arrival in the village, they discover a picturesque idyll where the children receive instruction in flying, and during their stay the visitors each gain valuable insights into themselves, ultimately wondering if they should ever leave. The depth of the characters, the breathtaking scenery, and the slow, dreamlike pacing make this film a magical, poetic experience that is sure to enchant and haunt its audiences.
(review from Muze Inc)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:53 am

woof woof ! wrote:WARNING,  in one scene a man sneaks up behind a dog and f'ucks it   :wwww  .

judge   :laugh:    he's a card isnt he    :D
112-1077774096

Postby dawson99 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:59 am

Welcome to dongmakgol

"Soldiers from both sides of the Korean divide live among villagers who know nothing of the war. "

sort of a fantastical korean mash? dunno if anyone has seen this, but u all should, great film, with the bloke from oldboy making another great appearence!!!
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:05 pm

Cheers Dawsino , just read the reviews and added it to my list to buy , think hmv have it for £10.99 but I'll try my hong kong supplier first , would only cost £3  :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby EddieC » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:01 pm

:bump
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:16 pm

For all  :pirate  Curse of the Golden Flower is available free

here

It is unfortunatley dubbed in English .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:52 pm

Jeez , the lengths I go to to keep this thread alive . I'm beginning to think that for most of you f'uckers experiencing some oriental culture amounts to a chinese take away on a friday night .

Has any body (apart from me) seen this movie ? (the Bird People of  China )

ps While i'm at it , anyone seen Jonothan Ross' "Japanorama" , Six (?) part series on all things Japanese ?
Last edited by woof woof ! on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum