Adobe photoshop and after effects - Help

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Paul C » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Right, I wanna start doing a bit of photo editting and am looking to get one of the above.

I want to take a picture and cut out an object to paste into another picture, problem is I don't know how, surely you don't have to go all around the 'object' to do it, cos that would be a nightmare.

I've looked for some good websites for beginners but can't find any decent ones  :down:

PLEASE HELP!!
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:54 pm

see jonnymac79. he'll know :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:56 pm

In mininova.org you'll find many torrents with ebooks and what's better video tutorials. Those named Lynda.com tutorials are really good.

My photoshop skills are very rudimentary but I've started learning now. What you want to do can be done fiddling with the magic wand (I think that's the translation) and it's options.

No doubt Emerald and Jonnymac will be able to help you out.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:56 pm

Judge wrote:see jonnymac79. he'll know :)

I thought that after I posted  :lookaround
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:26 pm

also emerald red, the member that posted that Torres painting. he should know.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:58 pm

paul, the tool you're after in photoshop is called the lasoo or marque tool. basically you have 3 options
- the 'freehand' lassoo where you're pretty much on your own trying to draw a line around something. useful if you want to quicky select a rough area but a pain in the bum if you want to draw round a complex shape.
- the polygonal lassoo which is great for selecting anything with corners and straight lines
- the magnetic lassoo. this one's well handy, it allows you to quite actually follow the contrast between two shapes or areas. for example if you want to cut a head from a sky blue background the chances are it'll be easy with this tool. however, cutting one lump of coal from a pile of coal will be more tricky. you can play around with the settings to get the response you want.

like anything though, you'll get out what you put in. the more time you spend carefully selecting the image you want to copy, then tidying it up afterwards the better the result will be. don't expect miracles straight away.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:25 pm

paul just admit it, you want to stick your missus' face onto dolly parton's body and spend the night in a state of rictus. it's ok, we won't tell
Last edited by Woollyback on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:12 pm

First time I seen this thread.

Right, this isn't a simple task if you're a beginner, so bear with it and you'll get the gist of it eventually.

The tricky part is, as you put it, having to single out the part of the image you want and cutting it out. If it's a large object with no real intricate parts to it, it will be fairly straight forward.

There are a few ways of doing it, but most others are a bit too complex. One way (and the easiest) is to use the lasso tool and draw around the object manually. Don't let go of the mouse button once you pressed it. It can be annoying doing it this way if you don't have a steady hand or some patience. You don't have to be exact. Just get as close and as tight to the shape you want and when you've completed it all the way round, let go. You'll see your outline. Now all you have to do is grab it and move it across to the other image. Use the 'move' tool for this. Click on it, and then grab inside the part you just outlined and drag it across onto your image. Before doing this, it's worth noting that it won't always match up, and will often be out of proportion, so tinker with the image size on either of the pictures so that they are an even match of scale. For example, if the image you are cutting from is bigger than the one you're dropping it on to, even though it might not look it, it will come out massive. So make sure you set the resolutions accordingly. Trail and error. There are other ways to match it up, but I haven't figured out how to change the dimensions of singled out cut layers. I know the option is there, but my PS doesn't seem to obey when I try to stretch, rotate or skew separate entities, so I just do it as I described above.

Once you've dropped your cut image down and matched it up, it is now a separate layer, so you can tinker with it. You can either stretch or skew it to fit, or use the erasure tool to erase anything you don't want there, like background noise from the previous image. From here you can then use the smudge tool to blend in the image so that it looks right and not like it's been cut out. I'm probably getting a bit too technical now, so I'll leave it there.

One more thing, before saving the image, make sure you flatten the final result, or save it as a separate JPEG image. To flatten, click on 'layer' at the top and then flatten at the bottom of the list.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Nice one guys, I'm just downloading the trial version of PS at the moment to have a play with it, I've always wanted to know how to use graphics packages to I guess theirs no time like the present.

Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it goes :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:10 pm

Stick with Emerald mate, he looks like a master of it with his Torres art.  You won't go wrong with his advice.

I'm actually shit at Photoshop.  I've always used Fireworks MX 2004 but Photoshop is probably the better tool.  I really should learn it myself... but for work, I only need to use Fireworks and templates I've already built really.

That AFter Effects tool looks a belter.  Reckon I'm going to give that a whirl one of these days as well.
jonnymac1979

Postby andy_g » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:31 pm

after effects only really comes into its own if you're working with video, as its basically a set of photoshop filters with a timeline. or at least it was when i last used it, its probably had a shake up since then but its definitely more for video than still image. go for photoshop, its still the best image manipulation software out there.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:41 pm

i dont know how true this is, but i was told that i was one of the first people ever to use a lens flare in film. it was 13 years ago, and it took 270 frames, looked stunning tho and won me an award in glasgow... which was nice
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:06 am

Woollyback wrote:paul just admit it, you want to stick your missus' face onto dolly parton's body and spend the night in a state of rictus. it's ok, we won't tell

or possibly dolly's face on an image of his mrs's tits an fanny
:grinning:
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:08 am

or dollys tits n fanny on mrs tits n fanny to make a super tits n fanny bird!!!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:10 am

s4it I've just jizzed
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum