A lifetime in confectionary... - Through your very own eyes.

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby metalhead » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:03 am

bigmick wrote:
metalhead wrote:KNAFE!!!! :buttrock

Mate I'm not being funny, but what the feck is that ???

just your ordinary sweet with melted cheese!!! :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:04 am

Lemon or strawberry bonbons.

The ones in the big glass jars on the back shelf of the sweetshop. They had a sort of fruity powder coating, the lemon ones had a bit of fizz about them too. A challenging chew that would eventually yield a soft centre, too many, too fast and you'd lock your jaw up though. Great sweets.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:04 am

Werthers originals :laugh:
LFC2007

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:31 am

i dont think i used to call them nutty bars , i used to say nut brittle , big chunks of it from the plastic jars in the shop. an them little sweet peanuts
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:06 am

What the hell is a marathon, ive been eating snickers bars all my life
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:17 am

Im guessing you're not from the UK then, or very young
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby laza » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:23 am

No im from Australia and its always been snickers over here

Im hope your not getting the same taste of chocalate in the UK.

UK confectionary rocks  :buttrock
Last edited by laza on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:59 am

Mr Freezes in the Summer - red ones and blue ones  :nod

Space Dust

The little white bag of Gold Nuggets (not sure what they were called) - little yellow chewies.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:08 am

Space dust! That was some weird stuff. Dip Dab was another favorite.

Last edited by fivecups on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:59 am

Kop Kops
Laser Bars (not many will remember them)
Texan Bars*
Nutty Bars*

(already mentioned)

But who remembers these:

Old English Spangles (Yak!!)

Pacers (Minty type of opal fruits) - hey yeah....OPAL FRUITS is right; not f*ckin STARBURST!!

Cabana (?) They were boss. Like a coconut/cherry pieces/caramel/choccy thing - miss them big time.

What else...

Christ there's loads when i can remember...good stuff most of em. Not like the s.*i*e you get today...

Oh yeah - FLORAL GUMS and PARMA VIOLETS!!! (F*ckin Rank)   :D

Chewing nuts/Toffee pillows/the ubiquitous (but GREAT) Kola Kubes - must be Trebor's though...wit the chewy bit in the middle...

Loads there was.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Effes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:28 am

red37 wrote:Old English Spangles (Yak!!)

Pacers (Minty type of opal fruits) - hey yeah....OPAL FRUITS is right; not f*ckin STARBURST!!

I remember spangles - not sure about "Old English" Spangles?

Pacers, defo.

I used to love the lollipops which had chewy in the middle, cant remember what they were called.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:41 am

Flying saucers were always hard to beat at the budget end of the spectrum. If you had 10p for a chocolate bar it was almost inevitable that it would come to 9p, or even worse to 9 and half pence (remember the half pence piece :laugh:) which necessatated a visit into the penny area. Not only were all the sweets there of extremely questionable quality, but most had finger marks on where sprogs ignoring their mothers urgings to "only touch the one you're getting", had fondled them with their unwashed p!ss infected fingers.

Under these circumstances, you were largely staring dwon the gun barrel at one of those green windy liquorice things which looked a bundled up extension cord with a liquorice allsort in the middle, a white chocolate mouse thing, one of the aformentioned wrapped trio of the blackjack, fruit salad or Mojo (these had a lot going for them from a hygiene point of view, and were sometimes two a penny) or a flying saucer.

Flying saucers are made out of paper apparently which always fascinated me, as did the blurb on the plastic jar that they "melted in your mouth". They did too. The only other sensible alternative was one of those refresher things in the blue and yellow wrapper. These were good, but unfortunately they were far more efficient at ripping fillings out than the local dentist. Pop it in your gob, clamp down and hey presto! Your refresher had a lead tooth shaped addition. I got done with that routine a coiuple of times so left them well alone.

Funnily enough you'd often spend more time at the penny chew stand spending the change than you did choosing the bar. The bar you'd have already chosen long before you got to the shop. My personal fav' was always the "Topic" (a hazelnut in every bite). A quite wonderfully satisfying chocolate covered chewy thing with hazelnuts in it (hence the advert I suppose). Feck me when I get back to the UK I'll be buying a couple of em in the airport now I think about it.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:36 am

bigmick wrote:Flying saucers were always hard to beat at the budget end of the spectrum. If you had 10p for a chocolate bar it was almost inevitable that it would come to 9p, or even worse to 9 and half pence (remember the half pence piece :laugh:) which necessatated a visit into the penny area. Not only were all the sweets there of extremely questionable quality, but most had finger marks on where sprogs ignoring their mothers urgings to "only touch the one you're getting", had fondled them with their unwashed p!ss infected fingers.

:laugh:

Reagrding bars - Star Bars were always my favourite.

Overtaken in my later and more refined years, by the Mint Aero.  :nod
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:02 am

For me nothing beats the humble Malteser
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:57 am

bigmick wrote:Right this is about all the old sweets that touched your hearts when you was a kid. The point about the ridiculous decison to change the name of the Marathon, a heavywieght in it's class of mid priced nut and nougat (pronouned nugget, not fecking noo-gah :angry:) chocolate bars into a "Snickers" got me thinking about it.

We all know what "Marathon" means. It's a long race run by fit feckers with pronounced Adams apples, it's a long stint at something, it's a mammoth spell at the crease to try and save a test match on the fifth day in Bombay (or Moombye or whatever the feck they call it these days, STOP FECKING CHANGING THE NAME OF STUFF FFS!!!! :angry:). We know these things, but what the feck is a "Snickers"? Makes no fecking sense to me at all.

Anyway it got me thinking about this thread, and sweets you kind of grown up with.

THE RULES OF THE THREAD: Yes I know, sorry there has to be rules but there does. No just fecking machine gunning off a list of names, lets go one at a time on each post (two at a max if you must) and actually pay the sweets which you craved as a nipper some respect. Talk about it, explain it, and describe for the forum what they meant to you at the time.

I'm going to open it up with the fairly humble "Sherbert Fountain". I vividly remember the yellow wrapping with the bit of liquorice sticking out the top. I'm not absolutely sure who decided the combo of sherbert and liqourice would be a good idea, and in truth it never really worked, but the sweet was a roaring success.

It was fairly inexpensive and was very much considered a youngsters treat. You wouldn't be seen dead steaming into one once you got past about 10 years old, probably because you'd long since worked out that the amount of effort required to prize each grain of sherbert out of the packaging was the equivalent of trying to eat a bowl of rice with a cocktail stick, or a Pomegranet in any which way you like. I'm sure Mum's loved them because you'd give one to your kid and it would shut the little fecker up for half an hour as he tried to work out how to eat the b@stard.

Seasoned pro's soon worked out that the liquorice stick was fecking horrible anyway (Know anyone who likes Ouzo? I rest my case) so they'd biff that in the direction of the dog (even they are unsure about Liqourice though in fairness, they normally lick it and give you a "what the feck am I supposed to do with that?" look ) and go for trying to just skull back the sherbert. Catch it wrong and you ended up with white bubbles coming out of your nose, almost like a flash forward if there is such a thing. Catch it right even, and the top soon got soggy causing a log jam of the powder which couldn't be shifted. You then had to carefully open up the wrapper with the intention of just gorging yourself on the stuff. Usually in opening it, the paper would kind of spring open and fling the stuff all over the front room carpet, causing you to lay on the floor and try and lick it up before you got a gob full of dog hair and gave it up as a bad job.

Sherbert Fountains though mate, them were the days.

why did they change the name Jif to Cif ??

Fu*king european doo-gooders  :angry:

:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum