2018 world cup - C'mon aussie, c'mon, c'mon

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Lionheart » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:20 pm

Where are all the Aussies on this forum??

England v Australia for 2018
AAP

England has all but confirmed it will go head to head with Australia and bid for the 2018 World Cup.

English Football Association chairman Geoff Thompson believes the 2018 event will be staged in Europe, countering Australia's hopes of making a bid based on it returning to Asia.

"Because of the number of countries taking part in a World Cup finals its almost impossible for the smaller countries to be able to host it," Thompson said.

"Therefore the big countries in Europe would be the ones that have that opportunity."

"France had it in 1998, Germany has it next year, Italy had it in 1990 and I think our stadia are as good if not better than the vast majority in Europe."

"I also believe our relationships in international circles are now far better than they have been for a very long time."

Current FIFA boss Sepp Blatter had introduced a de facto rotation system on World Cups between four regions: Europe, Asia, the Americas and Africa.

Asia hosted (Japan/Korea) in 2002, Europe (Germany) will host next year, Africa (South Africa) in 2010 while the Americas (Brazil) are hot favourite for 2014.

If that rotation system were to be preserved it would return to Asia in 2018, but such a rotation was unofficial.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:21 pm

Your early  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:21 pm

So who should get it?? What are the merits??

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:16 am

:censored: man  lol im going to be 32 by then, dont you think its alittle early :D
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:17 am

feck! i'll be 50
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red squirrel » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:21 am

Ive heard of giving notice but thats a bit extreme   :)
Red squirrel

Postby Lionheart » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:33 am

I'll be 59...AHHHHHH!!! Who was the idiot who started this thread...:D

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red squirrel » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:36 am

Dunno, but he's Australian i think!  :D
Red squirrel

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:40 am

Whatever happened to the winning country hosting the following tournament? ???

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:05 am

2018, getting a bit ahead of yourself aren't ya? :laugh:
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby babu » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:23 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Whatever happened to the winning country hosting the following tournament? ???

Can u imagine how many more times brazil would have won it if that were the case? fricking world trophy would never leave south america

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:53 am

Lionheart wrote:So who should get it?? What are the merits??

we have a better established football arena's, and we invented the game.  :;):

too many snakes there. We could have the tournament in your back yard in Tasmania  :p , dont think that would work!!

Mind you, if Australia did get the world cup, it'll be the only way for them to qualify  :nod   :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:46 am

I dont you have much chance  of getting a football world cup.A swimmiing gala ia about your level.Some fellah called Shane will win every race.......Gday :rasp
84-1106852058

Postby drummerphil » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:49 am

bloody hell i will be nearly 51.....At the moment and for the last few years Australia  with Players like Kewell,Viduka,Cahill,Emerton etc have had a decent squad and its a shame they havent managed to get to the world cup finals.My honest opinion is surely the world cup should go to a nation thats played in the finals and i hope they win their qualifier.Also Lionheart we all know how good the current crop have been but what is the future like over there.Any good academys taking shape,any potential superstars been unearthed because apart from the current crop i can honestly say i have no idea of what is following.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:35 pm

Phil...the most important aspect of the current Australian football scene (besides finally deciding to call the game by it's proper name - FOOTBALL  NOT Soccer, is the new governing body (Football Federation of Australia. The new body is building the game slowly and properly, not just doing something so that they are seen to be doing something. The FFA is more professional that anything previously. The first step was to disolve the former NSL (National Soccer League) and it's ethnic origins and to launch a team from each of the major capital cities or States. The new league is known as the A-League (http://www.a-league.com.au/) and the standard is quiet good. Getting reasonable crowds (we have to remember 'our football' is still only No.3 ranking of the football codes) but they are growing week by week.

You will see some names come to prominence over the next few years such as Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory - played in Belgium previously), Nick Carle & Jade North (Newcastle Jets - my team), just to name a few, but there are some good kids coming through. The one thing the A-League does do is to reduce the volume of one way traffic to Britain & Europe until the players become more established.

One thing all the LFC fans will be interested in is that Perth Glory has as their manager the former LFC great, Steve McMahon. Steve is doing OK after a bit of a rocky start and he also has his lad, Steve jnr. (he had to think hard about what to name the lad obviously!!! :D ) playing in Perth too.

The next step for the FFA is to build a decent 2nd tier competition as well as a youth league.

Each state has their own sports acadamies and football is becoming far more prominent in each of these. The Australian football fans have been frustrated to the max. over the last 20-30 years as we stumbled from one balls up to the next. So we are now all waiting with baited breath to see our game become Australia's No.1 football code. Making the World Cup finals will be a huge bonus and something the game here really needs.

having the World Cup in Australia is 2018 may very well be the crowning glory. I'm sure all the Aussies on this forum would love to see the beautiful World game down under.

I'll shut up now!!!   :D :D :D

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum