World cup memories - Says the tin does what on it

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby neil » Mon May 22, 2006 8:25 pm

i luv the world cup me, i'm about 37.5 and the earliest one i remember is the 78 argentina comp. It was fookin brill, Harry Arne, Bonhoff, Kempes, Cruyff, Beckenbaur, Asa Hartford yes all the stars were there on the telly, ticker tape all over the shop, mam tellin me to get to bed it too late for footy and she wants to watch the Sweeney...er...I digress. Anyway the best world cup memories for me are the Brazilian team of 82, I am tellin you they played a football so skillfull it beggared belief, in fact I dont believe it was real, there'll be a film about it soon. Eder on the wing Zico in his pomp( he was the 1st guy to swerve freekicks into the top corner like beckham) Socrates, Falco, I could probably name the team if I knew it. Are you excited? why so? I could jump off a dolls house!!
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon May 22, 2006 9:48 pm

My first world cup memory is of 1990 and for the first time ever Ireland qualified, its was a brilliant time for the whole country. We only scored 2 goals but somehow made it to the quater finals where we were dumped out by the hosts Italy in the back yard by a single goal from a little man called Toto :angry:

England had a great tournament aswell getting to the semis, but I remember getting very excited about the Brasil - Argentina second round match because of all the flair players and the past rivalary between the two countrys.

The game itself didnt live up to its billing but I remember Brasil hitting the post 3 times before Maradona, who had done nothing the whole match suddenly picked the ball up in his own half and ghosted past 3 or 4 brazilians before, with his last touch before falling to the ground, setting up Cannigga who rounded the keeper to score

Germany went on to win the worst final ever with Argentina thinking it was kickboxing they were playing rather then football!

Since then I have been hooked on the world cup and love all the old footage especially the Brasil team of 1970 and the Brasil - Italy match from 1982, but for me 1990 was my first and will always be my best (unless Ireland go and win the bloody thing some day!)
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon May 22, 2006 11:13 pm

My First was 78 too. They say ya always remember yer first time, and that world cup was unforgettable :buttrock
I remember the ticker tape and the atmosphere when argentina scored WOW! :oh:
Mario Kempes was THE MAN of that world cup, who can forget David Coleman screaming ONE NIL!! Was heartbroken Holland didnt win it tho. This world cup had the lot , great football with long range shots from all over the pitch.
Remember that Brazil team of 82 Neil. Unreal they were and got mugged by the italians.
There was also a game betwenn France and Brazil in 86 if anyone can remember -was truly amazing too.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon May 22, 2006 11:17 pm

1990 was the first one I remember. But my favourite memories are actually from the one that England didn't take part in. In '94, we had some Dutch oarsmen staying with us and next door had some Irish oarsmen lodging because of a Regatta. Staying up late, having BBQs and watching Ireland and Holland play and supporting Brazil just to annoy everyone. Real great blokes all of them (though not very good at rowing by all accounts).

As far as England are concerned, watching Owen's goal against Argentina was great. Big party at my mates and although we got robbed, that goal was so fantastic it made my night.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue May 23, 2006 1:07 am

Another 1978 Debutant here............Kempes and Luque if my memory serves me well and Archie Gemmil's goal when they trounced Holland 4-1 but failed to qualify!!!! :p

1982 will live long in the memory for those that witnessed it. Brazil were sublime and probably only bettered by that 1970 and the even better 1958 side (so I'm told).

In 82 I saw the finest WC game of my life so far when Jailbird Rossi bagged a hatrick to sink the Brazilians and take Italy to the final where they beat Germany. Anyone remeber Tardelli's face when he scored for Italy ? Pure adrenaline and emotion caught in a moment..........Class !  :p
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue May 23, 2006 1:12 am

Looks like the class of 78 is in here at the moment
Im 39 and 78 was my first memory of World Cup mainly of Scotland
Though 82 was when it really captured my imagination. I still remember Zico's goal against the Kiwis and German Keeper Schumacher shirtfront on French forward.
The 1982 Cup also learnt me a valueable lesson, for life of me i couldnt work out how come the Brazillians werent the Champions because as far as im concerned they played the best football

86 i was living in England and can still remember being in my Uncle's lounge in Whitstable Kent wondering how that cheating little Deigo had got away with that handball
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Tue May 23, 2006 11:17 am

goals from the final of 1978, Argentina V Holland( who Scotland beat 3-2)

http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=1508

just wait for the Sudoko advert to finish
Last edited by neil on Tue May 23, 2006 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Tue May 23, 2006 1:44 pm

1970 World cup finals in Mexico.Bobby Moore the England captain was arrested in Boggata for allegedley stealing a bracelet from a jewlers shop a few days before the tournament started.
This was the tournament that Gordon Banks(The best goalkeeper in the world) made the famous save from a point blank header from Pele in a 2-2 draw.The next game saw England play W.Germany in a rematch of the 1966 final.England were without Banks for this one he was unable to play due to food poisining,his place in goal was taken by Peter Bonnetti the Chelsea keeper.England went into a 2 goal lead but still lost 3-2 .
Even if England had of beaten the Germans Idont belive they would have retained the trophy.Brazil went onto to win the cup after beating the Germans in the semi final and meeting Italy in the final.
Iwas 10 years old at the time and remember going to my uncles house to watch the final,he was the only meber of the family who had a colour telly at the time.Brazil had a great team at the time(When dont they) Pele,Jarzhino,Tostaou,Carlos Alberto brilliant.Italy were Italy  nothing spectacular but plugging away and reaching the final.I can remember Jarzhino and Ithink Carlos Alberto scoring for Brazil and Ithink Riviera scored for Italy,there were more goals than that though IthinkIt finished 4-2.(I can never remember scores,couldnt tell you how Liverpool got on a couple of weeks ago)
That was the first World cup Ican remember and were my love affair with football began.
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Tue May 23, 2006 1:59 pm

First proper world cup memory was 1982

-Brazilians: Eder, Falcao, Junior, Socrates, Zico...How the fook did they not win that tournament

-Best match 1982 again, Brazil 2 v Italy 3

-Worst moment: Schumachers crunching assault on Battistuson. What a horrible b.astard Schumacher was, he was intent on causing injury from the first whistle. Whilst the 'tackle' was bad in itself, he was impatiently waiting to get on while the medics were seeing to Battistuson, laying there unconscious
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Wed May 24, 2006 1:15 pm

Cryuff and Bechanbaur weren't in the 1978 world cup.
Also Brazil beat England 1-0 in 1970.

anyway 1986 is my first one and best one so far. Maradonna became a football god (ahead of Pele in my opinion). I was gutted when Brazil lost to France in a great match. I remember my big brother telling me about the genius of Zico and then he came on (he was injured so couldn't start) and his first touch was a pass which earned a penalty, his second touch was missing the penalty.

It was also the last good world cup final
Last edited by Big Niall on Wed May 24, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed May 24, 2006 1:19 pm

I also remember Ireland beating Romania on penalties in 1990 and the whole country going mad, driving around beeping horns etc. My dad stopped the car for some stupid reason so the car behind breaked immediately but the car behind them weren't as alert and smacked into the back of it (not enough speed though for any injuries). My dad drove away - good times :laugh:
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Wed May 24, 2006 2:13 pm

Big Niall wrote:Also Brazil beat England 1-0 in 1970.

Spot on Niall,I dont know were Igot 2-2 from.Told you Icouldnt remember results from a few weeks ago,so Ican be forgiven for getting one from 36 years ago wrong. :)
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed May 24, 2006 2:13 pm

Big Niall wrote:Cryuff and Bechanbaur .

They're both spelt wrong. Meant to say Johan Neeskins.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Wed May 24, 2006 4:44 pm

It was the 1974 final for me,Germany v Holland.I dont remember the rest of the tournament but the final stuck in my mind for some reason.Holland were widely considered the best team in the world with a backbone made up of the great Ajax side(european champions '71,'72,'73).Germany looked equally impressive with half the team from Bayern Munich(european champions '74,'75,'76).Some great players on display that day,Cruyff,Neeskens,Breitner,Muller,Beckenbaur,Maeir,Rep....I remember Holland taking a first minute lead from a penalty,but the Germans came back to win 2-1.Johann Cruyff was a massive star back then.So big that he got permission to wear a different kit to his teamates.He had a deal with Puma that banned him from wearing any other kit.So while the Holland team wore Adidas strip,Cruyff wore Puma. :D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue May 30, 2006 10:47 am

Spain 82 was the first for me. I was 8 years old at the time and can remember being absolutely gripped by the tournament. I recorded every result in a little World Cup record book! I can remember England failing to beat both Spain and Germany in the second group stage and feeling absolutely devastated. I can also remember really hating the Germans when they got to the final and being delighted when Italy won it 3-1.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion