World cup memories - Says the tin does what on it

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue May 30, 2006 4:19 pm

Did anyone watch that "World Cup Heaven and Hell" last night?

It was quality viewing, basically a run down of Englands excuses each time they were dumped out, at one point they were going on about Gordon Banks missing a match in the 1970 World Cup through food poisoning, the conspiracy theory stating that instead of a dodgy beer he'd actually been poisoned, and probably by the Germans.
A german journalist comes on and says completely straight faced:

"If Gordon Banks had been poisoned by the Germans, he'd be dead"

I was in stitches!!!  :D  :laugh:  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Tue May 30, 2006 4:27 pm

Yeah Italia '90 was my first WC memory.  It was class, from Cameroon beating Argentina, to Ireland somehow making the quarter finals, Valderrama's hair (quality), Matthaus' strike against Jugoslavia, Gazza gurning his lamps out, Schillaci (didn't do anything before or since but scored a bagful that tournament), Roger Milla's dance, Brehme's fluke free-kick against England, the worst final ever, Scotland disgracing themselves against Costa Rica and of course... nessum dorma.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed May 31, 2006 9:11 am

I thought Italia 90 was rubbish. It did have the best ever song though.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed May 31, 2006 9:56 am

nah, itv theme to the 78 tourney was way the best. I saw pictures of all the German stadia the other day, they look superb, this is gonna be a classic.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhiLFC » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:19 pm

Thought I'd bring this topic back...

Laza thought Italy 1990 was boring but I thought it was excellent... I thought USA 94 was the most boring tournament I've seen so far but Germany 06 is rapidly catching it up.

I was 5 years old in 1966 and whilst I have no memories of the game I do remember the warm afterglow.  To tell you the truth my main memories of the world cup (& Euro championship) are ones of disappointment, either because I didn't get to see games because of work, because England didn't qualify or because Keegan was injured (what a total downer).
PhiLFC

Postby clik » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:16 pm

1st memories of world cup were Zico Eder, and socrates in 82 when the brazil team were scorin freely and falcoas veins popping from his arms
shame the italians knocked em out
Dreams do come true......Istanbul 2005
clik

Postby Mannyk » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:24 am

I have one distinct memory of this world cup apart from the great atmosphere and that would be the lovely pole dancing girls in Kaiserslauten who entertained us at the fan fest sites afer the nine pm games. heeheee:D
Mannyk

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:06 am

I watched the '66 world cup. Liverpool had 7 players in the original squad Byrne,Smith, Callaghan, Thompson, Hunt, Milne and Lawler. This was reduced to 3 players for the final squad Hunt, Callaghan and Byrne and only Hunt and Callaghan actually played. Hunt played every match and Callaghan just the once against France.
           I dont think I watched the group games (not really sure as I was very young and they have been repeated so many times since) but I definately watched the games against Argentina, Portugal and the final against WGermany.
account deleted by request

Postby Big Niall » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:23 pm

s@int wrote:I watched the '66 world cup. Liverpool had 7 players in the original squad Byrne,Smith, Callaghan, Thompson, Hunt, Milne and Lawler. This was reduced to 3 players for the final squad Hunt, Callaghan and Byrne and only Hunt and Callaghan actually played. Hunt played every match and Callaghan just the once against France.
           I dont think I watched the group games (not really sure as I was very young and they have been repeated so many times since) but I definately watched the games against Argentina, Portugal and the final against WGermany.

Who won the final? :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:34 pm

Big Niall wrote:
s@int wrote:I watched the '66 world cup. Liverpool had 7 players in the original squad Byrne,Smith, Callaghan, Thompson, Hunt, Milne and Lawler. This was reduced to 3 players for the final squad Hunt, Callaghan and Byrne and only Hunt and Callaghan actually played. Hunt played every match and Callaghan just the once against France.

Who won the final? :D

I'm not sure mate, I stopped watching when England went 0-1 down  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:41 pm

Ah, what memories. We failed again.

Like in 2002. And 1998. And 1994. And 1990. And 1986. And 1982.

*sigh*
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:03 am

all my world memories find me looking for the exit door early :D

i'm an ENGLAND fan, so could it be that :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:51 pm

favourite world cup and the best in my eyes didnt actually feature England as we didnt qualify.Argentina 78 i thought was wonderful.All the ticker tape,sweeping football,great matches,players (mario kempes,ardilas,dalglish etc)poland,holland and most other teams scoring silly goals from 40 yards plus.Gemmills wonder  goal against the dutch.Scotland going there with high hopes only to draw against Iran and lose aainst a great Peru team.......great coverage on tv,great theme music (still hum it now)......and 1982 i thought the Brazil team then of Zizo,socerates,eder,Falcoa etc
etc were the best and most exciting team ever to grace a pitch anywhere and not to win the world cup.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:18 am

My first world cup memory was the one most of you guys WISH you could remember...1966!!! :D

Distinctly remember getting up with my old Dad (about 2am down here) and him making me a hot cup of Milo (an Aussie Choclate drink) and hot battered toast. Hey these things are important to a 7 year old!!

Dad who was always soooo restrained got a bit caught up in the excitment of the game but I don't have any great recollections of the game except the sheer majesty of it all.

I remember Australia getting flogged in the qualifying match by the North Koreans who then went on to put the Italians out.

It doesn't seem all that long ago but I suppose it is when I see some of the posts from you whipper snappers!!! Just call me Gramps!!!  :laugh:

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:27 pm

alrite then

hello gramps :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion