Internationals - Patriotic or pain in the ar'se

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby BringBackTiti » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:32 am

I can see the point in having the matches but just as the prem kicks to have it in the 1st week  seems pointless to me imagine if carra or gerrard god forbid get injured
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:34 am

Playing for England wrecked Redknapps Liverpool career IMO :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Red Tom » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:31 pm

Hi everyone, its my first post, so go easy on me!

I think international friendlies have a place in the modern football world, but only as warm up games for a major tournament.  It is incredibly frustrating when LFC are finally back playing Premiership football and then we get a pointless game like this.  Injuries are a worry of course, and that is part of the reason I would favour internationals only before a WC/Euro Championship - most injuries sustained would not affect the clubs, just the countries - perhaps encouraging International managers not to risk thier best players for the whole match.

On a similar note - these England friendlies are even worse because of the style of play we have been subjected to under Sven.  This probably won't affect Chel$ki as much as us - because Rafa has just got Stevie and Carra thinking his way (ie, passing, moving, GOOD FOOTBALL) and now they have to go and play Sven's way; a style far more similar to the chequebook champions.

If we really must endure international matches like these, then I would far rather they were schedualed during a winter break - once again seperating the club and country aspect, for two reasons.  If you are anything like me, you are willing the Manure players to get sent off, or injured during England matches, including the qualifiers - but during the tournaments themselves, I tend to hope they do well.  My guess is with no club football to think of the partizan elements fade, and playing the internationals in a winter break could certainly help this.

The second reason I think this would be better is that it is once again down the international managers how tired the players can get.  If they have to think about more games in sucession, I'm sure we wouldn't see Stevie playing every game, the winter break would do him good before the WC.

Rant over.  Sorry for the long post everyone, but Internationals do REALLY bug me.

Tom
Red Red Tom

Postby 109-1093441336 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:50 pm

we got shi.t loads of games coming up and in between sven "owen should go to man u" erikkson gets to swipe our players.
109-1093441336

Postby red37 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:22 pm

what a waste of time and reputation that pile of cak was!!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby JohnBull » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:56 pm

red37 wrote:what a waste of time and reputation that pile of cak was!!

The FA are running short of ideas to make money.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Luis Garcia » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:13 am

Carra and Stevie were poor IMO.

last time Carra comes on for England for a while!

arent we glad we sold David James!

he is kacka
Luis Garcia

Postby A.B. » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:40 am

Don't really care how poor Carra and Stevie are for England as long as they play well for Liverpool Football Club. International friendlies are a waste of time.
Last edited by A.B. on Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:54 am

I hope neither of them play for England again. It'll benefit LFC.

BTW - If he thinks David James is a worthy England 'keeper, Sven needs shooting dead.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:52 am

Well, at least Lost  Imac*ntes did care about not pushing too hard the Spaniard lads. Alonso played 45 mins, performing well as usual, Reina played the whole match, but didn't have much work, and Morientes played the first 45 mins but didn't do anything to comment beyond his usual teamwork. Luis Garcia was lined up in the second half, but I already was headed to street to drink some beers.

I was quite worried because my selection played against Uruguay, to whom calling a match "friendly" is some kind of insult. Plus, they have extra motivation when playing against us.

My worries confirmed and there were many hard tackles
in the first minutes, thank god, no Liverpool players received one, but Athletic Bilbao's and Valencia's, which is nice. 2-0.

Friendlies? you don't have the right to hate friendlies. We Spaniards, always win friendlies, only to be f*cked in World Championship quarter finals . Pah.  :veryangry

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby misskop » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:09 am

Don't really care for internationals much, just as long as our boys come out unscathed that's all that matters to me.
misskop

Postby azriahmad » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:09 am

I am not English and my team is LFC since 1975 so the answer to this question from my point of view is obvious.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:57 am

Who really gives a toss about England? (apart from southerners)
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GunGod » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:28 pm

i dont like friendlies and the timing of this is particularly bad.

but i recognize the need for them. we love the world cup, the euro championships. without these friendlies both would be an absolute embarassment as 11 indivuduals playing for several different clubs would never turn in a decent performance without preparation. so we can't simply enjoy what we like (the WC and euros) and wish away what we dont like (friendlies). international mangers are paid to do a job and they dont have much of a choice over friendly dates.

anyway on another note, england's non-success on the international scene is not entirely sven's fault. for one, we dont even have a world class gk to get our basics right! for another, and more importantly, we dont have a natural playmaker. yes we don't. i have no ronaldinhos, tottis, kakas, riquelmes, aimars, neveds etc etc. we don't have that special someone in the heart of midfield. so that's probably why we are second rate on the world stage.
GunGod

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:33 pm

:veryangry  Hyypia, Riise played the full 90 mins  :angry:
hamann 75 mins, baros full 90 mins, gerrard 84,  :angry: and finnan 57, I am fuming over this weve got a really busy sqeduel coming up this week :angry:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion