Euro 2012 thread

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:27 pm

7_Kewell » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:37 pm wrote:And what loony tactics would you have employed? Italy would have torn us a new one if we attempted to go toe to toe, and you would still be in here sporting your usual sh!te.

Roy's building for he future and the first job is to make your team difficult to beat: he's done that.

He has also united the squad for the first time in decades and now needs to engineer goals into our play. All in all, considering how long he's been in the job, Roy has done ok. Nothing more, nothing less.

1. I would have dropped Welbeck for Carroll, Young for Chanberlain and Rooney for Walcott

2. I would have moved Milner inside and played him alongside Parker and Gerrard to close down Pirlo for a start .

3. Actually put pressure on the opposition when they are in the ball.

4. Actually look to attack the opposition and not just sit back ffs

It was pathetic cowardly tactics to play for a draw !!!

34% possesion , 20 shots on goal in 5 games ( Italy had more in just last nights game )

Even the defending was ***** - only poor finishing in last nights game stopped it being 6 nil.
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:47 pm

7_Kewell » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:37 pm wrote:And what loony tactics would you have employed? Italy would have torn us a new one if we attempted to go toe to toe, and you would still be in here sporting your usual sh!te.

Roy's building for he future and the first job is to make your team difficult to beat: he's done that.

He has also united the squad for the first time in decades and now needs to engineer goals into our play. All in all, considering how long he's been in the job, Roy has done ok. Nothing more, nothing less.

he`s done quite well, he`s played 6 games - france, italy, belgium, sweden, norway and ukraine (who were a host nation) and only lost one of them and that was on pens. they are all decent sides, no mugs there so his record so far isnt bad.
i think he f**ked up yesterday though, he should have taken a forward off and put phil jones on pirlo, the italians are already better than our players in terms of technique but they also had an extra man in midfield as well, gerrard and parker didnt stand a chance trying to close them down because there was always someone free for the italian centre mids to pass to. gerrard and parker just ended up running themselves into the ground.
it`s been a decent tournament for liverpool though, quite a few of our younger players like kelly, henderson and carroll have now had big tournament experience and will gain confidence from that and andy carroll in particular has seen his stock rise big time. on that `your on sky sports` phone in program and even this morning on talk sport there were quite a few people saying carroll shouldnt have been dropped after the sweden game and plenty of people praised his contribution in yesterdays game, the general consensus was that he was a bit wasteful with the ball but at least he put himself about and tried to get something going, everyone said carroll did more on his own in the last half an hour than rooney and wellbeck did put together all game. in fact the united trio of rooney, wellbeck and young came in for quite a bit of stick with people saying they did f**k all right through the tournament.
these werent liverpool fans saying this either.
gerrard started to look his old self as well, in a way i`m glad he`s staying on as england captain because it`s a little bit more extra motivation for him to make sure his club form is good, i think he likes the prestige of being the england captain outright and not having it on a part time basis so he knows to justify keeping the armband he has to make sure he is one of the best players in the country and i think thats a positive for liverpool.
because of the furore surrounding carroll, henderson, downing and kelly being picked these euro`s could have been a p.r disaster for liverpool and before the tournament started i sensed the press were sharpening their pencils ready to put the boot into us but it`s gone the other way, liverpool players have enhanced their reputations.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:03 pm

England achieved a QF place which is the best they could have hoped for, they're not a top International side, they never have been and they never will be, unless radical reform takes place at grass roots level and England adopt a more continental approach to training youngsters.

All of England's limitations were exposed against Italy and while the Italians are always a dangerous side, always capable of winning the competitions they enter, England made them look a lot better than they are.

I said at the start of the tournament that England's players lack the basic football fundamentals required to flourish on the big stage. England's footballers cannot pass the ball, cannot keep possession of the ball, panic when under pressure, lack any composure on the ball, lack patience in their build up play, lack a goal threat and have a weak mentality when pressure is placed upon them as shown with the penalty shoot out.

People praise England's dogged spirit, determination and fight and while all these traits are commenable without genuine football ability these qualities on their own will only take a team so far (in England's case the QF's).

I think it's remarkable that teams like the Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Croatia and Russia have a better grasp of ball retention than England.

England last night were terrible, every single flaw within the English game was evident for all to see last night, it was embarrassing to watch, it really was.

People say that England have a lot of top class players, some even use the word 'World Class' to describe some of the footballers and I just don't see it. Wayne Rooney is considered by many to be a World Class footballer and I just don't see it, he couldn't even take on a defender last night, he couldn't even mark Andrea Pirlo properly. Ashley Cole is considered the best left back in the World, yet Jordi Alba and Philip Lahm make him look inferior. People say that John Terry is World Class, Mario Balotelli tore him to pieces time after time without breaking a sweat. These are not World Class footballers by any means. The way people carry on about Ashley Cole you'd think he was as good as Roberto Carlos and John Terry as good as Beckenbauer. It's pure nonsense. Wayne Rooney, England's answer to Pele? That's an insult to Pele. Rooney will never be anywhere near as good as Pele or Gerd Muller or any other World Class striker.

England only has one technically gifted player who in his peak was World Class and that's Steven Gerrard. The only other technically brilliant footballer from England is Paul Scholes who at the age of 38 would have dominated England's midfield had he made himself available for selection.

People slate Hodgson's approach, but he played to England's strengths, in the end a failure at grass roots level to teach children the basics of football keeps bringing up generations of English footballers who cannot even do the basic fundamentals of football. Cannot pass a ball, cannot score more goals than the opposition, cannot keep the ball etc. You don't need to play total football like the Netherlands or Spain to win matches, you don't need the flair that teams like Argentina and Brazil have. You don't need to be as fancy as Ronaldo is with the ball to be a class footballer.

It's high time English grass roots football models itself on German grass roots football. Germany decade after decade produce players of the highest quality. Players who might not be the best to watch on television or who will become winners of the Ballon d'Or, but they are players who are capable of achieving great things at International level as their history has shown. 3 World Cups and 3 European Champions which might well become 4 on Sunday.

People say "well Germany get to the semi-finals or final and lose", yes that has been the case many times, but at least they get to the latter stages of competitions which is more than what can be said for many International teams, England in particular.
Boxscarf

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Ah well, got further than Holland.  :D
LFC2007

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Boxscarf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:03 pm wrote:England achieved a QF place which is the best they could have hoped for, they're not a top International side, they never have been and they never will be, unless radical reform takes place at grass roots level and England adopt a more continental approach to training youngsters.

All of England's limitations were exposed against Italy and while the Italians are always a dangerous side, always capable of winning the competitions they enter, England made them look a lot better than they are.

I said at the start of the tournament that England's players lack the basic football fundamentals required to flourish on the big stage. England's footballers cannot pass the ball, cannot keep possession of the ball, panic when under pressure, lack any composure on the ball, lack patience in their build up play, lack a goal threat and have a weak mentality when pressure is placed upon them as shown with the penalty shoot out.

People praise England's dogged spirit, determination and fight and while all these traits are commenable without genuine football ability these qualities on their own will only take a team so far (in England's case the QF's).

I think it's remarkable that teams like the Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Croatia and Russia have a better grasp of ball retention than England.

England last night were terrible, every single flaw within the English game was evident for all to see last night, it was embarrassing to watch, it really was.

People say that England have a lot of top class players, some even use the word 'World Class' to describe some of the footballers and I just don't see it. Wayne Rooney is considered by many to be a World Class footballer and I just don't see it, he couldn't even take on a defender last night, he couldn't even mark Andrea Pirlo properly. Ashley Cole is considered the best left back in the World, yet Jordi Alba and Philip Lahm make him look inferior. People say that John Terry is World Class, Mario Balotelli tore him to pieces time after time without breaking a sweat. These are not World Class footballers by any means. The way people carry on about Ashley Cole you'd think he was as good as Roberto Carlos and John Terry as good as Beckenbauer. It's pure nonsense. Wayne Rooney, England's answer to Pele? That's an insult to Pele. Rooney will never be anywhere near as good as Pele or Gerd Muller or any other World Class striker.

England only has one technically gifted player who in his peak was World Class and that's Steven Gerrard. The only other technically brilliant footballer from England is Paul Scholes who at the age of 38 would have dominated England's midfield had he made himself available for selection.

People slate Hodgson's approach, but he played to England's strengths, in the end a failure at grass roots level to teach children the basics of football keeps bringing up generations of English footballers who cannot even do the basic fundamentals of football. Cannot pass a ball, cannot score more goals than the opposition, cannot keep the ball etc. You don't need to play total football like the Netherlands or Spain to win matches, you don't need the flair that teams like Argentina and Brazil have. You don't need to be as fancy as Ronaldo is with the ball to be a class footballer.

It's high time English grass roots football models itself on German grass roots football. Germany decade after decade produce players of the highest quality. Players who might not be the best to watch on television or who will become winners of the Ballon d'Or, but they are players who are capable of achieving great things at International level as their history has shown. 3 World Cups and 3 European Champions which might well become 4 on Sunday.

People say "well Germany get to the semi-finals or final and lose", yes that has been the case many times, but at least they get to the latter stages of competitions which is more than what can be said for many International teams, England in particular.

So summed up = they were Sh*t
Benny The Noon

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Benny The Noon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:22 pm wrote:

Yes Benny that is the crux of it, I forgot you were a simpleton, but I'm awfully pleased you understood the nature of my long-winded post.
Boxscarf

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Boxscarf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:24 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:22 pm wrote:

Yes Benny that is the crux of it, I forgot you were a simpleton, but I'm awfully pleased you understood the nature of my long-winded post.

I was joking you plonker .

Next you will be asking why Suarez doesn't play for us like he did in an exhibition match !
Benny The Noon

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Suarez doesn't perform for us like he does for his national side and I'd love to know why that is.
Boxscarf

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Boxscarf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:28 pm wrote:Suarez doesn't perform for us like he does for his national side and I'd love to know why that is.

Because its a different level and pace of football.

He gets more time and space on the ball when playing for his country.
Benny The Noon

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Benny The Noon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:32 pm wrote:
Boxscarf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:28 pm wrote:Suarez doesn't perform for us like he does for his national side and I'd love to know why that is.

benny, why do you argue with that numpty? You should know better...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:53 am

Roy Hodgson played defensive football and is been ripped apart for having outdated tactics that dont work in todays game.

Roberto Di Matteo does the same at Chelsea and gets a contract as manager of Chelsea.

The mind boggles.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:32 am

Kharhaz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:53 am wrote:Roy Hodgson played defensive football and is been ripped apart for having outdated tactics that dont work in todays game.

Roberto Di Matteo does the same at Chelsea and gets a contract as manager of Chelsea.
D
The mind boggles.

Di Matteo's Chelsea actually carried a threat , Di Matteo's Chelsea won the CL and the FA Cup ,

Hodgson's England carried as much threat as an ants fart, Hodgson England won f*ck all

Chelsea had the one guy behind a striker looking to create

England had the one guy behind the striker looking fat and useless.
Benny The Noon

Postby The Good Yank » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:22 am

Benny The Noon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:32 pm wrote:

got to disagree with you here, in the way the game is played in South America, there is no time and space, they close down much faster than in the Prem.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:49 am

The Good Yank » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:22 am wrote:
Benny The Noon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:32 pm wrote:

got to disagree with you here, in the way the game is played in South America, there is no time and space, they close down much faster than in the Prem.

No they don't.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:16 am

Im completely amazed by the reaction in the media, reading headlines such as "Hodgson restores pride" etc. 

Im sick of managers like Roy, Pardew + moyes being made out to be messiahs while actual class managers like Rafa + Capello are scoffed at.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion