Champions league - New prediction competition

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:18 pm

Brave? Maybe not. That said, Samuel Eto looks to me like not quite the player he once was perhaps, and there is always the danger that the makewieght in a transfer won't hack a new country and a new league. What if Chelsea offered us Drogba plus 40 million quid for Torres (I'm not looking to get into an "I'd want Drogba plus 75 million" argument, but you get my drift), it'd be a barve man who'd cash in on such a hero, DESPITE the fact we were getting a good player and good money in exchange. What if we spent the 40 million on Keane and Aquilani, all of a sudden it don't look like such a great deal.

It's not a Rafa bash BTW, I'm just making the point that having sold Ibrhamovic Mourinho absolutely HAD to get the purchases right with the money it brought in. It appears he did.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:28 pm

But this deal was closer to Jermaine Defoe + £30m in exchange for Darren Bent. You'd be nuts to turn it down.
LFC2007

Postby bigmick » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:35 pm

LFC2007 wrote:But this deal was closer to Jermaine Defoe + £30m in exchange for Darren Bent. You'd be nuts to turn it down.

Maybe mate, and to be totally honest I don't even know the terms of the deal. Presumeably there was some negotiation involved, ie Barca say they want Ibra, Mourinho says get fecked, they offer 20 mill, Mourinho says give us 90 mill, they say we'll give you Eto in exchange plus 2 bob, Mourinho says etc etc etc. I'm not saying he didn't end up on the right side of the deal, I said that at the time, but crucially he then went out and spent the cash pretty wisely.

Rafa came out of the Alonso deal on the right side too IMHO by getting 30 million for him. I did just actually write another couple of sentences there but I deleted them in the interests of cordiality, but no doubt being the intelligent man you are you can well guess what they were anyway :D.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:05 pm

Sneijder looks like a steal at £15m (or was that Euros?)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:07 pm

bigmick wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:But this deal was closer to Jermaine Defoe + £30m in exchange for Darren Bent. You'd be nuts to turn it down.

Maybe mate, and to be totally honest I don't even know the terms of the deal. Presumeably there was some negotiation involved, ie Barca say they want Ibra, Mourinho says get fecked, they offer 20 mill, Mourinho says give us 90 mill, they say we'll give you Eto in exchange plus 2 bob, Mourinho says etc etc etc. I'm not saying he didn't end up on the right side of the deal, I said that at the time, but crucially he then went out and spent the cash pretty wisely.

Rafa came out of the Alonso deal on the right side too IMHO by getting 30 million for him. I did just actually write another couple of sentences there but I deleted them in the interests of cordiality, but no doubt being the intelligent man you are you can well guess what they were anyway :D.

I would say that the Manc's and Arsenal did brave business in the summer by selling key performers and signing two or three inferior replacements for a pittance by comparison. Those changes carried a considerable risk but they still managed to make it work. Mourinho on the other hand did plain common sense business by swapping an inferior player for a better one and getting £30m (or whatever it was) on the side. Which he then used sensibly by signing obviously good players, essentially Sneijder. He did not feck about.

We of course lie at the other extreme....
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:15 pm

Greavesie wrote:Sneijder looks like a steal at £15m (or was that Euros?)

Either way it's a fairly large sum of money well spent. We should have signed him instead of Aquilani.
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:22 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Greavesie wrote:Sneijder looks like a steal at £15m (or was that Euros?)

Either way it's a fairly large sum of money well spent. We should have signed him instead of Aquilani.

It's easy with hindsight, but I think we could have negotiated a few loans with the option to buy from Real when we sold Alonso. Robben, Sneijder and Van der Vaart would have solved quite a few of our problems this season  :D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:43 pm

s@int wrote:It's easy with hindsight, but I think we could have negotiated a few loans with the option to buy from Real when we sold Alonso. Robben, Sneijder and Van der Vaart would have solved quite a few of our problems this season  :D

I imagine Robben was probably out of our price range but the other two probably weren't. We could still conceivably go for Van der Vaart. It frustrates the hell out of me seeing some of the best affordable young players go to other clubs. Arshavin is the probably best example and Sneijder the second. Before that there was Aimar, then Rosicky, a little after Diego, then Aguero, then Tevez. At peak value, some of these weren't achievable targets, but at various stages a fair few must have been i.e. Arshavin, Sneijder, Van der Vaart. Instead we went for the likes of Babel, Keane and Aquilani (still an open judgment...but) and that has been very costly.
LFC2007

Postby Dundalk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:01 am

first time Barca have lost by more than one goal under Guardiola
Last edited by Dundalk on Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:17 am

Ibra: 'Materazzi attacked Balo!' Tuesday 20 April, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zlatan Ibrahimovic reveals Marco Materazzi attacked Mario Balotelli in the players' tunnel. “I've never seen anything like it! I'd have decked him.”

The Barcelona star gave his version of events after the final whistle, when Balotelli had thrown off his Inter jersey in anger.

“I saw that Materazzi was attacking him in the players' tunnel and I've never seen anything like it,” Ibra told RAI.

“If I were him, I'd have left Mario alone, but Materazzi was attacking him and I was stunned. If Materazzi had attacked me like that, I would've decked him in a second!

“Materazzi was causing all sorts of trouble and in the Barcelona locker room we were amazed, all talking about it. A player should be proud after a win, not chase down a 20-year-old to berate him.”

It was his second return to San Siro since leaving in the summer and failed to impress.

“It was a difficult game and Inter played in an aggressive manner. The referee also made some mistakes, but I don't want to blame him, as we didn't play the way we usually do other than the final 20 minutes.

“I'd come back from a month on the sidelines and didn't feel match fit. There is another game to go and at the Nou Camp it will be very different. We are confident.”

The Swede had complained about Jose Mourinho's tactics when walking away, but admitted things have changed.

“Inter play well and are more compact, but they have a different mentality and now believe that they can win. I play for Barcelona and believe in my team, so obviously the second leg will be the decider.

“Compared to when I was at Inter, they now attack a lot more. They have some great talents and also confidence, as the win over Chelsea really boosted their European mentality.

“Anything can still happen, but I have a lot of faith in Barcelona. If Inter can score two or three at home, then we can score four or five.” 

Football Italia - the Italian football website for English-speaking football fans

Balotelli attacked in car park Tuesday 20 April, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mario Balotelli was attacked by fans in the car park at San Siro, as security staff rushed to the rescue.

The Inter striker ruined the celebrations in the 3-1 Champions League win over Barcelona by arguing with Jose Mourinho, his teammates and the crowd.

After a bad mistake on the counter-attack, the San Siro supporters jeered and he turned to visibly insult them.

The problems continued and at the final whistle he threw his shirt to the ground.

It has been revealed that Marco Materazzi confronted Balotelli in the players’ tunnel in a violent clash.

However, Sky Italia showed footage of supporters with access to the car park beneath San Siro trying to attack the striker as he walked to his car.

Security staff were forced to intervene in order to lead him to safety.

“He’s a youngster, this thing happened and in all honesty I’d prefer to think about the victory,” said President Massimo Moratti.

“This is a wound that will heal and could be a life lesson that’ll prove useful for him.”
account deleted by request

Postby Greavesie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:24 am

I seen him thow his shirt onto the ground and storm off after the final whistle like. Sounds interesting to say the least. He's a really promising player as well, bags of talen at 19 but his attitude is a wee bit er.....sh!t....I'm sure he was pictured with a milan shirt once as well. He doesnt exactly do himself any favours here does he
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Zidane » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:51 am

Sabre wrote:
In all honesty Ibrhimovic was such a legend at Inter it was a brave move to sell him and invest in the team in the way Mourinho did.

It's a great Mourinho success night and there's no point denying that. But brave? he was offered Etoo + a lot of money in exchange. Brave is not the word, any of us would have taken that unbelievable deal.

Seconded, it was a really, really easy decision imo.  As soon as that move was made I was a little shocked at it, Inter easily getting the better of it.

I think Inter will go through now that they have this lead.  They will hold onto that lead and more than likely will nick at least one on the counter imo.
Zidane

Postby Julio-0 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:04 pm

Greavesie wrote:I seen him thow his shirt onto the ground and storm off after the final whistle like. Sounds interesting to say the least. He's a really promising player as well, bags of talen at 19 but his attitude is a wee bit er.....sh!t....I'm sure he was pictured with a milan shirt once as well. He doesnt exactly do himself any favours here does he

True
Julio-0

Postby tubby » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:37 pm

Didn't he not turn up for international duty with the under 21's a few times? :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Julio-0 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:41 pm

bavlondon wrote:Didn't he not turn up for international duty with the under 21's a few times? :D

yes, he was often late for training...
Julio-0

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion