Please post your football related Polls in this forum

Cisse vs pongolle

Cisse
36%
Pongolle
64%

Total votes : 80

Postby RedRoots » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:08 am

stu_the_red wrote:He's shite and thats the end of it.

:D
I just had to laugh at that, it's so true, Ive had many an arguement with my mates over Cisse but it's getting to the point where I can't even defend him anymore, Yeah he's fiery and a bit of a wild card thats fine if your Roy Keane or somebody who has more passion for the club rather than himself. Cisse doesn't ahve the Liverpool mentality end of.

I actually said to one of the lads whilst watchin the match, Cisse would have made a bollox of our first comeback goal to make it 3-2, but luckily enough Pongo was there to slot it away.
RedRoots

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:15 am

Youre right about Pongy's first goal mate,Cisse might have tried to blast the back of the net,heading also dosen't seem to be a Cisse strongpoint whereas Pongy's second goal for a little guy was terrific.
Gracias King Rafa

Postby oakton » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:33 am

just saw the penalty kick from Cisse, it was weak, high at the goalkeeper's chest level, PATHETIC!!!
oakton

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:48 am

Both players have strong points and weak points.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Alanay » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:42 am

Pongolle typically inject a different taste of the game. Sometimes I had a feeling that the defenders pay less attention to him and that allows him to make surprises, just like last nite.
Alanay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:32 am

I've never been a massive fan of either player and probably agree with the couple of lads who wonder whether either of them are ultimately what we require. The question is a fair one in the light of last nights performance as Cisse was very very poor IMHO and Pongolle had unquestionably his best performance in a red shirt.
Cisse was by no means alone in his poor performance, I thought the team looked very jaded and a better side than Luton would have beaten Liverpool yesterday. He still has that "headless chicken" look about him though, and although he is nowhere near as bad as some on here suggest, he is nowhere near a 14 million pound striker either. His first touch varies from the sublime to the ridiculous and his movement lacks intelligence and subtlety. His team play such as it is, is negligable and you can never be certain he is going to take a chance no matter how clear cut. He does however possess blistering pace as we all know and once inside the box, he has a good anticipation and awareness. He is the sort of player that would do well in a solid, defensive team. The sort of team who would be inclined to play him upfront on his own and hit him with speculative punts in the hope that he may get on the end of something. He would probably aid a team who defends deep, because his pace would restrict the tendancy of the opposition to press up. I can see why Foolier bought him for his Wimbledonesque mantra, but at 14 million pounds I said on here within about three appearances we had paid a ridiculous fee and I stand by that today.
In the case of Pongolle he is young and unproven and while he may one day make a player, I wonder whether he ever get enough time on the pitch to develop at Liverpool. He hasn't the searing pace of a Cisse but is a much better technician. He has that all important intelligence and subtlety, the ability to move three yards backwards like his first goal yesterday. That crucial split second train of thought which is so hard to teach, but which enabled Gerrard to feed him in with a relatively easy pass. The header came out of the blue and was right out of the top drawer. If that is an indication of his heading ability then he really does have a future, but as I've never seen that before I'm more inclined to think it is a one off.

In conclusion, on current ability I would go with Cisse. If Ping-Pong performed like he did last night, and Cisse like he did then theres no contest. I'm allowing for a bit of fatigue though, Cisse is not as bad as he looked last night and alas I'm not sure Ping-Pong is as good as he looked either. In a season or so however, it may all change.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:37 am

RAFABENITEZ wrote:Cisse
all who say he is shi* are morons.

correct cisse is still a class player just because pongolle scored twice yesterday and cisse missed a penalty
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby Fingers » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:09 am

No doubt Cisse is class just look at his record in France!!

i think he is suffering a bit like Chris Sutton did when he went to Chelsea, big strong lad good in the air, being fed balls through the middle of the park, with Cisse its a case of (as bigmick said) a amazingly rapid player with all to often no space to run into, because of the formation and way we play, imo this is why we more often then not see Cisse come on late in games when the opposition is pushing on and taking risks (well when were winning- just my opinion, i'm no Benitez as you probo tell.)

That said
Ping pong was very good yesterday, and personally i rate him more AT THE MOMENT, no reflection in the talent of the players, just think Sinama fits better into the way we play at the mo.
As always I am focused on supporting the Cloob and the Manager
Fingers

Postby Poolinc. » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:12 am

Cisse just doesn't cut it! Yesterday's match typified him! Can't shoot, can't header, can't cross, first touch of a bad Sunday-leaguer, shocking penalty taker!(I was 100% certain he wouldn't score and bet i wasn't the only one!) Pace is great but when lacking control, we might as well put a horse up front! He's had more than enough time to "adapt," he just ain't got it! Those of us who said give Kewell time are now being rewarded. Kewell always had great ability. We remember from his Leeds days and now he's nearly back to this form, just needs a couple of goals. But Cisse? Good enough for Villa, not near good enough for Liverpool! Sinama is ok and did very well yesterday, has potential.... In reality what we need is another Fowler, a 30 goal-a-season man! It's all we're short to challenge Chelsea. Our defence is ok and soon to be improved, our middle is the best in the world, the reason we're doing well at the moment, up front we lack bite, up front we are weak! We need a striker, simple as!
Poolinc.

Postby AussieKopite » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:31 am

I would say both are excellent substitutes and both make an impact when they come on. I have to say I don't think either should be on the starting 11.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:32 am

cisse best out of the 2, any 1 here ian wrights comments on pongo at yesterdays match,he said this guy dosent do any thing when he comes on,what happens goes and scores eat your hat wrighty :buttrock
shanks
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:17 pm

Cisse has been setting up from the right flank, he set another up yesterday. As i have said in te other 16 threads about this pongolle is not a 90 minute player. hes not strong enough yet. hes our super sub and is proving himself invaluable to us in that respect. Cisse has 14 goals and has hardly started a game in the last 6 months.

Im saying cisse. he lovs the club, he can score goals, he has the pace and is better than sinema down the right
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gaunt » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:03 pm

For me i will say Cisse for now. And im just curious how many people who slate Cisse on here were singing his praises and saying he is coming good after the Super cup final against CSKA or were saying he is improving after the Saprissa game with his link up play and are not slating him. I know not everyone was and there are people who said Cisse was awful from the start and have stuck to their guns and fair play to them. But there are people who are having see-saw changes of opinion after every game, no-one can be good every game.

Also just want to remind everyone about a point being made by Ivor and Dawson, he has scored 14 goals this season, 2nd top scorer, we're only halfway through the season, judge him at the end. If people are wanting to bring up the goals argument then surely its Morientes who should be called into account. However i also still rate Morientes as he has a very clever footballing brain and brings other things to the team.

For what its worth i like all of our strikers and think that they are all rated by Benitez as they all offer him something different and give him options during the game to change things which is something he has said is a major part of the way he manages. Cisse for his pace, Crouch for the aerial balls and link up, Morientes again for Headers and good link up, and Pongolle is a bit of a livewire that can come on and change things with his energy and tricks like last night.

All we need now is a real out and out poacher that can nick a goal from nowhere and that should complete our strikeforce, but personally i rate all our strikers and right now i'd have Cisse in the squad for his experience and for the fact that despite what others say he can score goals.
Gaunt

Postby Kukilon » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:26 pm

Cisse is better.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:27 pm

Kukilon wrote:Cisse is better.

technically he is. ultimately pongolle will make the better liverpool player.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Football Related Polls